The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
admin

I have never skied either resort always went up HWY 221 from Spartanburg to the Banner Elk area Ski Resorts. I'm taking the family and they all handle anything except the blacks at Sugar. We want to try somewhere new so please give your advise on either Cat or Wolf Laurel on the basis of your usual experiences at the two, THANKS.
Air_Cutter
Beginner

Wolf Laurel is my choice. It's easy to get to, it has THE most challenging terrain of the two and can be argued that Wolf is more challenging than Banner Elk when all slopes are open. Wolf also has a quad lift with feet rests, in my book that makes all the difference in the world right there. Go to Wolf, you won't regret it.
admin

Are the two pretty equal in the grooming & snowmaking abilities?
Air_Cutter
Beginner

I'm not sure about that...maybe someone else can answer. I've only been to Cat a couple of times, but have been to Wolf many, many times as I used to live in Asheville. Wolf does a nice job of making snow. Take a look at the trail map...Viewfinder is a nice long run...with Upper Streak on your left as it flattens out they usually blow snow and create a near verticle drop in. Very nice. If you go straight on Viewfinder you make your way to Powder Hill and Whistling Dixie. Those two blues are borderline blacks. Oh and Lower Streak is too.

For the faint of heart, you can go left off the quad down the trail The Howling! which will take you to Southern Express and on to the bottom to get on the lift again. This way is not as difficult.

You really need to know how to ski or board if you go right off the quad. Because to the right is really STEEP!!! And super fun!!!
skiatlanta
Advanced

cataloochee has much better snow than wolf laurel. Cataloochee has been really good at making snow this year, wolf laurel really doenst care about skiers anymore. I don't think Im really ever gonna go to WL again unless there is 2 feet of fresh. Arfe the bowl and flame out even open?
skiing rules
Expert

[ Arfe the bowl and flame out even open?[/quote]

of course not
Air_Cutter
Beginner

The Bowl and Flame Out are only open if natural snow is there. I will debate that when those two slopes are open, the Wolf is the most challenging AND most fun area to go to in NC. Some people don't like it because it's too difficult with the ice and such. I say that if you can ski the Bowl and FO in treacherous conditions, you can ski damn near anywhere. (And Sugar's BD and TT) You just have to time your trip there perfectly.

I'm sorry if you feel they don't cater to skiers anymore, IMO they never have. That still won't stop me from going there. I just not let it bother me.

I wish I was there right now, but I got sick Tuesday with a bad stomach. I'm just now getting over it.
skiatlanta
Advanced

they've made made snow on the bowl before. They made drops with the snow actually, and the conditions were really good. Its the same time to go to wolf for me as it is to go to hawksnest or app, and I would rather go there.
Air_Cutter
Beginner

OK, I'll bite waynecash...what and why do you think the Cat is better than the Wolf? I gave my reasons why I think the Wolf is better. The only thing better about Cat is what? I can only think of one thing...maybe two...but for pure skiing excitement, which is what I ski for, Wolf takes it.
Air_Cutter
Beginner

waynecash wrote:
Cat has consistently made snow this year and better, they have a great little mountain going there. They were the first to make snow and hold it for the year. Wolf is out in the middle of no where versus Cat. And Wolf has crappy snow. Always have..

What is this crappy snow you speak of? There is only crappy snow in the spring and that is everywhere you ski (almost). Now if you say, "I like Cat because it's closer to me." I can understand. But that doesn't mean it's better.

I have to calrify one thing. I like to escape gravity on the slopes and the Wolf has always been more conducive to that part of my skiing. I am always able to get away with it there. But maybe things have changed the past few years since boarding has come about with the parks and such and people getting away with it more. I used to get in trouble jumping before park terrains took off and not because of out of control behavior, but because of them thinking what is this crazy person doing...