The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
Joshua8200
Intermediate

Mammoth Mtn 306in of snow: 12-14 feet base (144-168in)

Snowbird 336in snow: 10.5 feet mid-mountain (127in)

Big Sky 280+in snow: 4.75-7.33ft (57in-88in)

Vail 299in snow: 5.67ft mid-mountain (68in)

Now the break down for the snowfalls is different for a lot of the resorts, but you can look into that for yourself at that stuff.
teledave
Expert

Cumulative snowfall does not equal base depth.
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you
snowbird
Advanced

nope not even in utah.
admin

teledave wrote:

Amazingly enough that stuff packs down, I don't recall seeing an example of that this weekend but I hear it does.
snowbird
Advanced

cb is that new avatar from utah? i think so, nope its from jackson hole. LOL but thast close enough to utah for me.
Joshua8200
Intermediate

teledave wrote:

:oops: Right, right...I get that :-). I'm mostly refering to Mammoth's base depth (because I'm heading there in mid-March). Mammoth is boasting the deepest bases in the country yet the BIG snowfall they had was like a month ago and they've seen day time temps in the 40s quite a few days.

The other resorts pretty much speak for themselves.
Joshua8200
Intermediate

And...think about Big Sky's base depths. It's nearly half that of the other resorts...but it sure hasn't seen half the snow totals as the other resorts :? .
teledave
Expert

Joshua8200 wrote:

teledave wrote:

:oops: Right, right...I get that :-). I'm mostly refering to Mammoth's base depth (because I'm heading there in mid-March). Mammoth is boasting the deepest bases in the country yet the BIG snowfall they had was like a month ago and they've seen day time temps in the 40s quite a few days.

The other resorts pretty much speak for themselves.

Base depths depend on a lot of variables, because of its moisture content Mammoth's snow makes a more substantial base than say Utah snow given the same amount of snowfall. Put another way, the wetter the snow the better base it compacts to and the closer the base depth will equal the snowfall depth. Drier snow compacts much more than wet snow, so in a drier snow environment it will take more snowfall to compact into a base. Wind, temperature, and skier traffic are also variables that affect base depth vs snowfall.
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you
KneeDeep
Expert

Right on TD. Water content has everything to do with the base depths. Mammoth gets the heavier snow, so their snow packs a lot thicker than the snow in CO and UT.

The other thing to think about is the terrain the snow is covering... in CO, a 50-60 inch base is more than enough. In UT, it might require a 80-90 inch to cover their terrain.
SkiCop
Expert

No dirt, no rocks, no grass = no problem. :D