The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
n_alabamaskier
Advanced

another thing to remember that out west that is a settled snow depth off of the trail in a wind protected area and no skiier traffic....in the east we measure on slope compaction for the base depths b/c most of the winter if we measured the snow depth off of the trail it would be bare dirt.
teledave
Expert

SkiCop wrote:
No dirt, no rocks, no grass = no problem. :D

All of the people bitchin' about rocks hear this, I NEVER go out West and don't come back without some big gouges from rocks (hopefully they aren't core shots), and I'm usually on a base of greater than 100". I've got 4 good ones (3 on one pair of skis and 1 one the other) to repair from last week, that's not counting the minor scrapes. That's what P-Tex was made for, I've never damaged my skis locally like I have on a base that was over 80". If you aren't trashing your gear, you aren't riding hard enough.
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you
admin

Big sky does not get nearly as much snow as the other resorts spoken of.....and it can be rocky

but the guy who reports the snow depths can't really get away with cheating...cause the government has an official online snow gauge set up at mid mountain......everyone can read it and it keeps big skys reporting honest

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/sntl- ... 7&state=MT

snow depth at mid mountain.....settled base.....56 inches today

Montana relies on its more northern location and high altitude to aid in snow preservation

as far as water density is concerned.....montana has traditionally very low water content......settles easier and and blows out of your hand like dust

you know sorta like the snow at cloudmont....

core shot 2 trips out of 5 :P
teledave
Expert

That's what I'm talkin' about!
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you