The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
pagamony
Advanced

? hey, its their territory, we got almost nothing on that place.

Dawn, i think the point you might be getting here is that most people think if you are going to spend that much money, at least think about going the other direction. Otherwise, good luck.
teledave
Expert

pagamony wrote:
baton rouge - taos, nm: 1120 mi

Even with the bad snow year Taos is having given the choice between MassOnothin' at its best and Taos at its worst I'd go the extra hundred miles and go to Taos, at least you could get some good food there.
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you
pagamony
Advanced

Quote:
Even with the bad snow year Taos is having given the choice between MassOnothin' at its best and Taos at its worst I'd go the extra hundred miles and go to Taos, at least you could get some good food there.

ding ding ding. we have a winner.
Murphy
Beginner

dawn wrote:
We have 10 of us coming to ski Massanutten Resort on 2/25/06, which is Mardi Gras here in Louisiana. I can't find anyone out there who can give me details on the snow, slopes, etc. This is our first time to ski in the Southeast...we normally go west. Please let me know the conditions for adults and children. How is the skiing...Hopefully worth a trip....Will we be very disappointed??????? is there a place around there that is better???????

Hey Dawn,

How's Baton Rouge? I'm a Tiger from '96 and '99.

I've never been to Massanutten but from what I understand, it's not exactly a destination resort. The mid-Atlantic really only has two Destination resorts, Snowshoe, WV and 7 Springs in PA. If you consider all three resorts in Canaan Valley (WV) that could make for a vacation and then I understand Wisp in Maryland is doing some good things. They're all nice but they're skiing isn't exactly worth traveling 1000 miles for but it's not bad. Of the ones I've listed I've only been to Snowshoe but I'll give my opinion anyway. 7Springs probably offers the least in terms of skiing but has a lot to do off the slopes. Snowshoe has a little more to offer in terms of terrain and is pretty well suited for intermediates. It catches a bad wrap for being over commercialized and expensive (and grooming too much). Canaan is the exact opposite. Kind of Granola, lots of terrain options, especially if you're willing to work for it. Fewer places to get a massage :wink: . Really neat, country town feel to it. Worth a look. I get the impression Wisp is a scaled down Snowshoe but don't quote me on it.
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

My Family stays at Massanutten almost every January. They dont hype the slopes B/C the want to sell timeshares instead. They have a wide variety of slopes, but none are real long. The Blacks Paradice and Diamond Jim are not that difficult. It is convient for us with 3 kids skiing under 10yrs old. We let the two boys go on the whole mtn. The tubing there is great! Go on a weekday at 5 to 7 pm and you will be all alone. Skiing will be $29 day or twilight if you traded RCI for a condo as we do. Snowshoe is 3 hrs away if Massanutten is too small for you. They just opened an Indoor Waterpark that looked cool! Heated water ana a standing wave Surf area. didnt use it cause we skied 5 days and went on Cave tours 1 day. When you check in and get your Car Pass, tell them not to call and they wont. We take the tour after the 3rd call and they will give you a $150 Prepaid visa and meal. Just Say no, No, No, If you take tour. See Pix on Skisoutheast.com under Archived Pix for massanutten. Ill be glad to help. What unit are you staying in?:D
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
admin

Wow, you guys are cold! First, to someone from NC who calls Massanutten Mass'o'nuthin is a tad bit presumptious. Vertical is comparable to any ski area in the SE region except Snowshoe. I will state that the greens are lame at best. but trail wise they are no worse than any other SE ski area.

I will state that they have a great deal to offer for the most part. We had a good time there. But as is the case with any Eastern ski area, they aren't the west. Don't go in expecting the west. They blow snow, they get very few blessings from mother nature, so expect that. If you want to ski CO or BC, then do so. But don't judge an eastern ski area by the west. You could ski Jay's Peak in VT and be disappointed when comparing to the west. So please compare apples to apples if you don't mind.
admin

What do ya mean "we" have nothing on Mass? How about trying the pages at http://www.skisoutheast.com/massanutten ... efault.htm

SkiSoutheast.com pulls more daily traffic than any other eastern ski website except SkiNC.

Come on guys...
Joel_Maners
Beginner

teledave wrote:

pagamony wrote:
baton rouge - taos, nm: 1120 mi

Amen to that! You also might want to check the mileage to Red River, NM or even Santa Fe or Sandia Mountain in Albuqerque. The extra miles would be well worth it.

Also, look into flying. If you check last minute, you can get some great deals. With the price of gas, you might find flying to be a bargain.
pagamony
Advanced

Quote:
Come on guys...

...in terms of personal experiences not resort speak - but 2slik pulled it out on that one - go slik. (and now fast)

as you know, i am one of those that tries to push this board to be a little more "SE" than "NC" :-)

[...besides which, i wrote "almost" ]
SKISC
Expert

If you are set on the East and flying I would at least look at New England. Their winter has not been great but has been beter than what we have had. Vermont has some very good slopes. I think Killington is the largest and they have 4 or five base lodges. New Hampshire and Maine also have some verygood areas to consider. No matter which way you go though being on snow is better than not being on the snow. Have fun wherever you choose.