The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

anyone know where I gan Get apair of ski with a Govenor on them. If you cant ski fast, why ski?
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
Spec
Beginner

It is news to me. I skied first and kleine scheidegg there in grindelwald back in Jan. We could debate this stuff all day. I just wanted to add what I saw over there. The europeans are just different skiers. Blame it on ski racing. They are all hermen meyer wannabes. I was skiing powder right under the lift and right next to the groomed slopes 2 days after it snowed. They all just haul a$$ down the hill. Admittedly, they are really good. I didn't see anybody fall much, and the lift never stopped one time while i rode it.

One slope actually had a radar gun and display, which encouraged fast skiing. 100-110km/hr wasn't uncommon. It probably is a good idea to enforce some slow skiing in the crowded areas. On the slopes though, ski however you want as long as you are in control.
jamsandwich
Expert

how the hell are you supposed to know how fast you are going, also, does ski patrol have radar and hide behind trees busting people going to fast?
g8erhater
Advanced

jamsandwich wrote:
how the hell are you supposed to know how fast you are going, also, does ski patrol have radar and hide behind trees busting people going to fast?

haven't you seen those big digital readouts that display your speed on the highway? :)
scootergarren
Beginner

I'd like to know how fast that Euro idiot was going that ran into me three weeks ago at Beech!!!!! I haven't been hit that hard since I played football 20 years ago!!!!! It might be nice if the ski patrol would monitor some of these idiots!!!!! Every trail map that I have picked up says that you must look uphill and ski in control!!!!!
g8erhater
Advanced

scootergarren wrote:
Every trail map that I have picked up says that you must look uphill and ski in control!!!!!

I am not being a jerk when I ask this, but how do you look uphill when you ski? It is my understanding that is the responsibility of the person looking down upon you to avoid you.
scootergarren
Beginner

He was coming off Robins Run into another trail!!! Is it not his responsiblity to look up Shawneehaw?
The Boss
Beginner

Three rules of the road/slope: Always watch out for the one below you and assume they are all idiots and will try to kill you. Always stop at slopeside, never in the middle.Always stand sideways at slopeside and watch for those above and assume they are all idiots and will try to kill you. Follow these simple rules and you may survive.
ut_Twintip
Intermediate

scootergarren wrote:
He was coming off Robins Run into another trail!!! Is it not his responsiblity to look up Shawneehaw?

It is both persons responsibility to be aware at trail mergings. I know exactally how Robins opens out onto Lower Shaw, it is a bit questionable. But being the merger, yes he should have seen you and moved to avoid. I too was run into at Beech. In the middle of Shaw (yes i was moving), by a snowboard INSTRUCTOR. it sucks, he cut my brand new orage pants and chiped my hip.
admin

If he wantred to merge correctly....he should have flipped around switch and looked up the hill.... :D