The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
admin

Late Monday morning I mentioned a possibiltiy of a snow storm for the weekend if things came together, will they did, and were going to shoveling some snow Sat,Sun, and Monday, it looks like snow starts late Friday night/early Sat morn, snow continues (heavy at time) during the day Sat. amounts of 4-8 in. by Sat. night are possible with locally higher amounts, after the low heads north up the coast a shot artic air sweeps into highcountry ushering in upslope snowshowers (everybodys favorite) all through the day on Sunday, and most of the day on Monday, amounts from snowshowers should be 1-3 in. for Boone and 2-5 for favored upslope sections of the highcountry. This storm is all dependent on the track of the low, but right now things seem pretty locked in, but things still can change, stay tuned.
Hoopster
Beginner

NCAPPS--thanks for the info.

Is this weather info only for the ski areas? What about the Greeneville, Johnson City, Morristown area? The reason I ask is that the NWS is only saying a 50% chance of snow and little accumulation. I am assuming this is because we are further west than the mtns. For us learning disabled weather people, could you draw us a map and show us how much it will snow and where? :)
admin

I'll put a map out tonight.
Joel_Maners
Beginner

Hoopster wrote:
NCAPPS--thanks for the info.

Is this weather info only for the ski areas? What about the Greeneville, Johnson City, Morristown area? The reason I ask is that the NWS is only saying a 50% chance of snow and little accumulation. I am assuming this is because we are further west than the mtns. For us learning disabled weather people, could you draw us a map and show us how much it will snow and where? :)

Check out my previous post on the weekend snow. Snow-forecast.com shows us getting 3.5 inches of snow Friday night and Saturday morning.
admin

I dont really trust websites like that because its really just taking computer data and outputting a forecast, no humans....a storm this complex must be watched with more a trained eye.
skiing rules
Expert

that just made my day
afrobigfoot
Expert

O.NEW.KGSP.WS.A.0004.060211T0500Z-060212T1000Z/ AVERY-CALDWELL-MADISON-YANCEY-MITCHELL-SWAIN-HAYWOOD-BUNCOMBE- MCDOWELL-BURKE-GRAHAM-NORTHERN JACKSON-MACON- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWLAND...SPRUCE PINE...CHEROKEE... WAYNESVILLE...ASHEVILLE...MARION...MORGANTON...SYLVA...FRANKLIN 349 PM EST THU FEB 9 2006

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH LATE SATURDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH FOR THE NORTHERN AND CENTRAL MOUNTAINS...PLUS A PORTION OF THE SOUTHERN MOUNTAINS OF NORTH CAROLINA. THE WATCH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH LATE SATURDAY NIGHT.

SNOW WILL DEVELOP GENERALLY AFTER MIDNIGHT FRIDAY NIGHT AND CONTINUE THROUGH MOST OF SATURDAY. SOME FREEZING RAIN COULD MIX WITH THE SNOW EARLY SATURDAY. SNOW MAY ACCUMUALTE 3 TO 5 INCHES BY SATURDAY EVENING.

SNOW SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE SATURDAY NIGHT WITH ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS LIKELY...ESPECIALLY ALONG THE TENNESSEEE BORDER.

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.
Tmiller72
Expert

From the NWS: Snow is forecasted all over the region this weekend. Hudson, NC being the only exception, there temps are forecasted to rise into the low 50s with heavy rain.

Damn Afro, that sucks!
2019-20

Beech: 10
Snowshoe: 3
Alta: 2
Brighton: 1
Solitude: 1
Jackson Hole: 2
afrobigfoot
Expert

hahahahaha
snowbird
Advanced

summit boys,

dont think that even touches what we got at the real summit.