The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
skibum
Beginner

Lemmi take the other side of this for a sec and dont get me wrong, Sugar's still shooting there own foot on this one..

But.

If you dont charge Sugar or any other resort to participate, send in free passes and ect, then why did you feel you needed a meeting with them?? I mean if your gonna demand anything, demand WOLF to do something about their reporting cause it's down right awefull.. No drop in base depths when it's rained for 4 days straight, saying they have 12 runs open when they dont (i/e the thread from the person who said the the resort told them that both sides of the mountain were open when it really was'nt. I've been there done that with them a few times and nothings changed).. And i'm sure this site also reported the same 12 runs open when they were'nt... I personally love it when you say you have'nt heard from the resort in a few days.. What kinda participation is that????

But like I said, it would have been in Sugar's best interest to become a member of your ORG.. You must have pissed them off pretty good ;)
SkiCop
Expert

There are always two sides to every story.
admin

SkiCop wrote:
There is always two sides to every story.

SkiCop wrote:
I thought I was wrong once. I must have been mistaken.

:?:
admin

Answer to SkiBum's comment.

Some businesses like to meet, others can handle it in a phone call. We were offering the chance to handle it either way. Some measure of participation had to be forthcoming to make for a "relationship". Again, we have some form of relationship with all others.

In the case of commenting or calling out other resorts, we have done so many times. This season alone, we have BRAGGED on Sugar's reporting whille chastising Wolf's, Massanutten's, Timberline's, Sapphire's, Wisp's and others that escape me this moment. We have formed great friendships with some, good friendships with some and respectful alliances with others. In the case of some resorts (You mentioned Wolf) we have followed up with them after hearing complaints such as those that have been stated here, and we have posted comments...such as that about Wolf in today's morning update.

While we may not agree with Wolf Laurel's ignoring the update of "12" trails open when they had less...we can only comment and report on them upon contact with them and others. We ARE NOT THE SKI POLICE. We can only report what is being reported, add our On Snow Reports to the mix and be happy with the results. Unfortunately, we don't have ten reporters posting daily from every ski area. When we GROW to that point things will be fabulous...and we won't even need to contact a resort. Until that time, you do the best you can and we think we have the best source to date. It's still nowhere near perfect...but it is the best model to this point in time.
snowbird
Advanced

im not a sugar fan anyways. did you all know that?
n_alabamaskier
Advanced

Sugar was the 1st NC resort I skiied and in my opinion has the best terrain (and vertical, which can't be called into question). I may be beaten down by my fellow SkiNC messg boarders, but I like Sugar. However, since I am a member of this community I support what Mike has done. I just wish Sugar would wise up, c'mon give away a couple of lift tix, ever heard of ROI guys.

BTY I will be at Beech or Sugar next wknd Feb 17 and 18 if anyone wants to ski.
admin

Bamaskier - for the record we all love Sugar Mountain. We have never been anti-Sugar, nor are we now. Sugar is a fun mountain to ski. Wherever there is snow...fun is right alongside of it - Sugar Mountain included!

Mike
jamsandwich
Expert

does anyone know if the owner of sugar mountain has the last name koston?

a friend of mine was talking to me today and mentioned his friend jack koston's dad owned sugar and got another friend of his a job as skiing instructor. just wanted to see if its the same person.
ICEHOCEY77
Intermediate

Ding-dong! May I interject for a second? As a Burger Shack employee for the past three years, if there's one thing I've learned, it's that if you're craving White Castle, the burgers here just don't cut it. In fact, just thinking about those tender little White Castle burgers with those little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in your mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one... just makes me want to burn this motherfucker down. Come on, Pookie, let's burn this motherfucker down! Come on, Pookie! Let's burn it, Pookie! Let's burn this motherfucker down! Let's burn it down! Let's burn it! So you guys maybe should just suck it up and go to White Castle.