The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
Joel_Maners
Beginner

I just checked out the Hawk web cam. They are really blowing the snow onto Top Gun. Looks lke they are serious about opening it this weekend! :D
dreamnofpow
Expert

hopefully for the crescent series race this weekend.
andyroo186
Beginner

yea, i was there tonight and it has a ton of snow on it, they will probably open it tomorrow. the ski patrol was even skiing on it. but when someone else tried it, i got to the bottom and had someone yell at me because they thought it was me. i wish it would have been me, it looked really good. oh well.
skiing rules
Expert

you should have gone for it, what is this race hing going on this weekend, will top gun be open for the regular crowd on saturday night?
dreamnofpow
Expert

Quote:
what is this race hing going on this weekend, will top gun be open for the regular crowd on saturday night?

When they set up races they only use a portion of a run. Barriers will separate the race course from the run.
admin

Thanks for noticing, and yes Top Gun will be open on Friday (Feb 10) and it should be some great skiing weather for the Crescent racing. Beech had a nice turn out last weekend and we are looking forward having everyone on Saturday and Sunday.

andyroo186, My apologize for anyone giving you a hard time or mistaken you for someone skiing on a closed trail. Several tickets were cut tonight for skiing on a closed trail and one kid told me that he saw some tracks go under the rope with a closed sign but thought that didn’t pertain to him. A phone call to his Dad had him understand that closed means closed to everyone.

As for the racing and regular customers - there will be some areas used for the racing, but there shouldn't be much problems for others to get around. You are welcome to stop on the sides (where you don't obstruct a trail, or not visible from above (#3 of the NC Skier's Safety Act)) and enjoy watching some great racing fun. The racing is from 9:30 AM until about 1 PM. We will be using both Top Gun for the advance/expert and Right Stuff for the less advanced skiing. It should be great fun for everyone.
kclement
Beginner

I can't wait to ride TOP GUN. It is one of the best if not the best trail to ride in NC. In my opinion.
admin

Top Gun is Steep and Deep!!

As of midnight tonight (friday.11:55 pm) it is dumping big gnarley flakes.

The Snow storm has arrived, tomorrows conditions should be Epic everywhere.
skimannc1
Beginner

A Big Bird wrote:
As for the racing and regular customers - there will be some areas used for the racing, but there shouldn't be much problems for others to get around. You are welcome to stop on the sides (where you don't obstruct a trail, or not visible from above (#3 of the NC Skier's Safety Act)) and enjoy watching some great racing fun. The racing is from 9:30 AM until about 1 PM. We will be using both Top Gun for the advance/expert and Right Stuff for the less advanced skiing. It should be great fun for everyone.

This was not the case at all. Top Gun was closed till 1. Conditions at Hawksnest were terrible today. They had not groomed anything so all you skied was ice or pushed up powder. Made it very unenjoyable on what should have been a great day of skiing. I just wish the resorts would learn how to groom like Appalachian. I am not saying to get rid of the moguls or anything but at least get rid of ruts and hard packed icy places on a day you have plenty of fresh powder to deal with.
K2JuvyKid
Intermediate

app was way dope today

speically the terrain park

woot

________

Honda CBR250RR

________

ESSENTIAL VAAAPP