The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
andyroo186
Beginner

It seems like they could just dig out of the mountain the shape of the halfpipe and then fill it in with snow. (Like Beech) But actually make it good. Is this possible? That'd be awesome.
andyroo186
Beginner

ok, i'm not talking a "pipe monster" or whatever. Just a decent half pipe to ride. Even beech's would be ok if it was cut out better and had a lip on it instead of the sides just being like ramps. It must actually curve up so you can air out of it. Its possible and it wouldn't cost that much. Maybe someday.
admin

You cant have a pipe without the pipe dragon to go with it.....

and the colder temps for snow preservation

sure you could dig it out.....but during the summer and during freeze and thaws where the earth got exposed.....it would crumble and lose its shape in a matter of days......

snowmaking costs are prohibitive....

hey gresh.....I can ride the pipe and get air out and drop back in......but as far as tricks....I might flip u the bird when I'm in the air and the only grabs and spins I'm gonna do is when I'm chasin my wife apres ski.... :P
admin

If you got the weather, slope and interest - NC ski areas do. Then all you need for a superpipe is the $$$$ and a willing to take a chance on it. Build the 1st one and people will come - That's been proven time and time before. But the Big unknown answer is "who's got the balls to do it?" And how far away are we from a Superpipe in NC. Is this troll talk or am I a little ahead of my time. You be the judge. Once there were no parks now there are many - Now there are no pipes/etc. What will the future hold.

I rest it.
andyroo186
Beginner

turn it to Datline on NBC. They're showing how they make a superpipe. crazy.
jamsandwich
Expert

we need steeper black diamond runs and more hills, not superpipes.

NC slopes are all so weak, but if someone really rich came in and put up a snowshoe like resort on some steep mountain in nc, it would shame all other places.
g8erhater
Advanced

jamsandwich wrote:
we need steeper black diamond runs and more hills, not superpipes.

NC slopes are all so weak, but if someone really rich came in and put up a snowshoe like resort on some steep mountain in nc, it would shame all other places.

Snowshoe doesn't offer much in the way of steeps either, esp if the western territory is closed.
Hawks Park Rules
Beginner

Confused about the Yancey man comment - must be a brokeback thing. It made me laugh though.

If any resort had a Superpipe it will be Hawks - YES you guys had to wake me up again. You want to talk pipes - I am right here with you....

HPR has been woken up form the PIPE GODS....