The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
tugboatjulie
Beginner

teledave wrote:
Unless you go to Snowshoe, God forbid. (But it sounds like that is exactly what you are asking for/wanting, I really don't like the 'Shoe but it might be the right choice for you.)

Anyone want to volunteer driving time from ATL to Snowshoe?

Curious--what's wrong with Snowshoe? I was considering it for next year...moving up from the "ice" of NC.
admin

tugboatjulie wrote:

Curious--what's wrong with Snowshoe? I was considering it for next year...moving up from the "ice" of NC.

You have to go further than Snowshoe to get away from the ice.
teledave
Expert

tugboatjulie wrote:

teledave wrote:
Unless you go to Snowshoe, God forbid. (But it sounds like that is exactly what you are asking for/wanting, I really don't like the 'Shoe but it might be the right choice for you.)

Anyone want to volunteer driving time from ATL to Snowshoe?

It could be that I am incapable of truly appreciating everything that Snowshoe has to offer.

OK, here we go again.

I am a skier first and foremost. I could give a rat's behind about where I sleep , how many shops and restaurants you have, or what your apres ski scene is like.

I want some steep slopes and less grooming at a reasonable price.

Snowshoe is strong on the former and VERY weak on the latter.

Lot's of people absolutely LOVE Snowshoe, I'm just not one of them. I think it is an overpriced Beech Mtn.
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you
teledave
Expert

GreshamB wrote:
alright mr. Tele.....thats enough outa you as far as the 'shoe is concerned!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME!?!?!?

You think I was too easy on them?
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you
admin

Driving times from Atl to:

Cataloochee 3 hours

Wolf Laural 3.5-4 hours

Boone (App, Sugar, Beech, Hawksnest) 5 to 5.5 hours

Winterplace WV 6-6.5 hours

Snowshoe WV 8.5 hours

Difficult to discern what you are looking for. If you want the whole "small ski mountian town expereince" Dave's right, I don't think you will find it south of Snowshoe, and you will pay dearly for it there. Like Dave, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you start with a day trip to cataloochee. If you want to stay the night ski in-ski out I think you gotta go to boone, there is none at cat and I don't think there really is any at Wolf Laurel, though I do think there are units at WL where you can reasonably walk to the slopes.

At Cataloochee You can stay at the cataloochee ranch, which I've heard good things about, for I think $75-85 a night and that's maybe a 1/2 mile from the slopes. You can stay in Maggie Valley, say 5 miles from the slope, for south of $40 a night. I'd recommend whereever you go taking 985/441/23 to waynesville, then 40 to 26 for WL or 40 to 221 for boone. Atl=>Waynesville NC = big, well maintained 4 lane roads, cept for a small stretch in ga. If you have more questions or want more specifics pls. feel free to PM me, I do this a lot with a mess of kids :wink:
admin

Thanks again everyone for all the info. Didn't mean to get anything started... :shock: It's just that i've never been there and it's nearly impossible to know what you're getting by pictures and websites. I haven't skied in years and really only ever skied in Kiilington, VT. Kids and i just looking for a fun weekend. Thanks again.
tugboatjulie
Beginner

ah, you have to learn quickly to ignore these soap boxes they get on... :)

yes, i'll research Snowshoe and see what's up...