The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
admin

Yeah, today (Sun) a friend and I were at Hawksnest and found some killer tree runs with snow anywhere from 8-18 in deep. I haven't had that much fun on my board in a really long time. I even found a little cliff drop. For those of you that know Hawksnest...if you ride the blue lift up and then look to your left, there is a pretty steep slope and the next to that is a drop off that's roughly 4ft. Got to do it once before ski patrol almost clipped my ticket. Oh well. At least I can say I got a cliff drop in NC. Not too many people can claim that.

The rest of the runs were a little on the slick side. The wind today pushed the snow off to the sides. I think Hawk was 100% open today as well. The park was ok. They have a great gap jump. It was in good shape Sat, but today there was a big rut in the landing from where people kept landing short.

This was a great weekend. Thank you God for the snow.

Final note to Hawksnest...FREE THE TREES!
skiing rules
Expert

i was there hittin it saturday night, only about 2 patrol on the mtn and we hit it several times, tons of really light powder everywhere, it was awesome
dreamnofpow
Expert

Quote:
They have a great gap jump. It was in good shape Sat, but today there was a big rut in the landing from where people kept landing short.

I would question the safety of that gap jump. I saw at least 2 people carted off by ski patrol who "cased" the landing bad. If they want to build a jump like that, they should make the gap in the middle flat or make it like the jump further up. It's too dangerous for most of the people riding at Hawks.
Markhpnc
Intermediate

Many park features anywhere are not safe. It is up to the rider to make it. If this is one of those "slam the uphill bank if you don't clear the gap jumps" I know what you mean though. I think the safest jumps are true table tops where there is an uphill jump followed by a tue flat then a nice downhill landing. I think App has the corner this year on the true giant cheese wedge jump. I need to get back up to Hawks and check it out though since I haven't been there in a month or two.
Joshua8200
Intermediate

Markhpnc wrote:
If this is one of those "slam the uphill bank if you don't clear the gap jumps"

There's no kind of 'uphill bank' that you would slam into. It's just that the flat part of the landing right before the downhill has been hit by waaaay too many people coming up just short of the downhill landing. There was a really deep groove right in the middle Saturday night.
admin

Well, with all due respect, riding rails in general can be dangerous in the hands of morons. Of course playing rock, paper, scissors can be dangerous in the hands of morons! Don't look at it as dangerous, look at it as God's way of trimming down the number of morons in the world! Nature at its best! If the population didn't get trimmed now and then, they would breed and morons would take over the wor... oh wait a minute, they already have, it's called the US government! :lol:
Joshua8200
Intermediate

luv2board wrote:
I even found a little cliff drop. For those of you that know Hawksnest...if you ride the blue lift up and then look to your left, there is a pretty steep slope and the next to that is a drop off that's roughly 4ft. Got to do it once before ski patrol almost clipped my ticket.

This was a great weekend. Thank you God for the snow.

Final note to Hawksnest...FREE THE TREES!

Why not just drop the bank on the skiiers left side of Goshawk? That's a lot bigger than 4ft and you won't have to worry about getting your ticket clipped.

I also saw someone come out of the trees onto Sockem-Dog near the first turn to the left on the terrain park and they had come through all the way from the trees near the top off the lift. I couldn't really see the line through the trees...but with the snow as nice as it was in the trees up there (at least boot and shin deep) nice lines but tight lines could have been had through there. I'm not sure whether ski patrol would have clipped your lift ticket for this or not...But I would say it would have been pushing it.
admin

Yeah, I know the drop you are talking about. This one is alot bigger than that. When I said the drop was 4 ft that was the free fall. Not the slope hight. The thing you're talking about is fun and I don't take a second thought about hitting it. This thing took a little working up to. If you look at the total hight for this thing I hit it was about 15-20 from where I jumped to the flat run.
snowbird
Advanced

tree runs are really good at night. can i get a wintess on that????

they sure are. deep light dry powder in the trees prettty dark as well.

wherez my wintesses???

any1 2nd that?