The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
admin

Back from my first ski trip to NC...and must admit I'm disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the snow was great this weekend, but I could not believe the lift lines at Sugar Mountain. I lived in New England for 4.5 years and skied nearly every weekend at large and small resorts and also out west...I've skied on the busiest days and never, I repeat never, stood in lift lines for so long...it was ridiculous...and it wasn't due to the number of people, although it was very crowded, just due to the lack of organization. I will never go back there.

Also, so many people skiing irresponsibly...new skiers on difficult slopes...I cannot even begin to tell you the number of injuries I saw go by...again, I've never seen anything like it.

Also...don't ever make reservations at the Pinola Inn...they gave away our room at 5pm and we had no where to stay...we had to drive to Elizabethton TN to find a room. Also what is up with NC not working on the roads...I mean you have resorts that need to have access and they don't even touch the roads..it took us two hours to drive to Elizabethton, which should have taken about 1/2 hour in good conditions.

I suppose I've been spoiled...
teledave
Expert

Try it out again next weekend, it will be MUCH better!
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you
admin

kstid - do not give up on NC. Try a different resort - not next weekend though - pres wkend is crowded at all places.
admin

creegan wrote:
kstid - do not give up on NC. Try a different resort - not next weekend though - pres wkend is crowded at all places.

Thanks...from reading the board, looks like Hawksnest may be a good place to try...maybe weekend after next...
admin

What trails were you on?

I was at sugar yesterday most all day and saw no injuries, and did not wait in a line more than 5 minutes anywhere. I was on all of the beginner and intermediate slopes there.

There were several runs that I just walked through as no one was waiting, empy chairs going all the way to the top of the mountain.

Tommy
admin

tombiowami wrote:
What trails were you on?

I was at sugar yesterday most all day and saw no injuries, and did not wait in a line more than 5 minutes anywhere. I was on all of the beginner and intermediate slopes there.

There were several runs that I just walked through as no one was waiting, empy chairs going all the way to the top of the mountain.

Tommy

I didn't go back yesterday. I was there on Saturday and on whoopteedo mostly and big red some. I was also over in the begineer area some as my cousin was with me and it was her first time. She took a lesson and I watched her for about 1/2 hour and in that time I saw three people sledded down and the woman I commented about it to was there with her kids and said she had seen double that...ambulances there too. I didn't go back on Sunday because of the crowd on Saturday...I just couldn't justify paying that price to stand in lift lines half the day...guess it thinned out.
SkiCop
Expert

When I have been there, Big Red usually has no more than a five minute wait, if that.
hnhbaxter
Expert
Tagline: Old School Hall Monitor

Next time at Sugar try staying up top by getting on the yellow lift mid station. It usually works out real well with limited waiting time and you stay where most of the fun stuff is anyway.
If you want big air out of me, pull my finger
snowbird
Advanced

kstid wrote:

creegan wrote:

Thanks...from reading the board, looks like Hawksnest may be a good place to try...maybe weekend after next...

i would suggest trying beech on sat or cat on that sunday. you wont be dissapointed turst me. the board will be out in full force, and it will be boomber. bird and blacky dave and stinky gresh and cb mark and skicop. come on and man y many more it will be boomber. go to beech that sat and just look for us. we wont be hard to spot. i have my clothing picked out
admin

snowbird wrote:

kstid wrote:

creegan wrote:

i would suggest trying beech on sat or cat on that sunday. you wont be dissapointed turst me. the board will be out in full force, and it will be boomber. bird and blacky dave and stinky gresh and cb mark and skicop. come on and man y many more it will be boomber. go to beech that sat and just look for us. we wont be hard to spot. i have my clothing picked out

:cry: you scare me bird, i never know if you are being sarcastic or not