The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
Philip
Beginner

Taking my final winter trip out west in a couple of weeks to Summit Co.

Although nothing has been finalized, I plan on skiing Copper most of the time. However, I was thinking of taking a day trip to Loveland.

Has anyone skied Loveland? What is it comparable to? Is it similar to Arapahoe Basin?

I always pass by Loveland and head to the larger facilities, but my curiosity has been fueled by a couple of your posts. And, it's cheap, and that's always a plus.
g8erhater
Advanced

In case he doesn't see this thread, it may be worth pm'ing kneedeep. I think he has before.
b2
Beginner

stop'n' try it on the way to CU- just pull off the freeway @ the eisenhower. they got the elevation, 4 sure.
jeffryc
Expert

I've been to Loveland a couple of times. It's not like A Basin but it's well worth going. Very inexpensive, never crowded. No high speed lifts but great skiing. For that matter, A Basin doesn't have high speed lifts. It's right on top of the Continental Divide. Usually lot's of snow. If you're there for several days, I'd check it out. Not as big as Copper, Breckinridge, Keystone, etc. If you like bowls, Copper & Breck are the ones. Keystone has a lot of great glades. And A Basin is well, A Basin. Enjoy!
ICEHOCEY77
Intermediate

I was there this past January, it was great. By all means, GO!

Doesn't really have the access that Copper has, but for that price it's hard not to go and enjoy it. Hit up Chair 1 and the trees off to the right of the lift. Also try getting over to the north side, for some Bomber fun.
KneeDeep
Expert

I just sent you a PM Philip, everything should be covered.

In my opinion, Loveland is much more fun than Breck, and about the same as Keystone. On a good snow day, Loveland delivers the goods all day long. Its not unusual to ski untracked snow there at 3:00.

The only caveat is that if the weather sucks (ie wind, freezing temps), Loveland is not for the faint of heart. It can get very very cold there, and that's an understatement.

And Jeffryc, Breck isn't huge for bowls... they've got a couple smaller ones above peak 8, but its not all that great. Copper and Vail are the places to go for bowl skiing.
porter
Advanced

^^Same.

Loveland is **smaller** than the others, sort of. There is a lot of room to roam here, a lot of it above timberline. I believe it is bigger than Arapahoe Basin, but the quality of snow at Loveland is somewhat lower because it's subject to winds. The only thing about Loveland I do not care for, really, is that the freeway is right there. It makes for good access, but it seems to steal some of the mountain's wilderness qualities.
snowbird
Advanced

any1 skied snowbird?

i have
KneeDeep
Expert

Porter, I think Loveland is ~1100 acres, compared to A-Basin's ~550 acres, so its roughly twice as large. It skis a lot bigger comparatively when A-Basin doesn't have the Pali and/or East Wall stuff open. There's a lot of great terrain off the Ridge, chair 4, and chair 8 that's worth lapping all day... but you're right- the wind is pretty bad there sometimes. However, if you're willing to put up with it, you can get free refills every lap. :D
jeffryc
Expert

knee deep- Thanks for the info. I agree with you about Vail. I just didn't mention it because he asked about Summit County. And quite frankly I don't care for Breck. It seems like unless you stick to one peak, you'll spend the day riding lifts just to get to another peak. I really like Copper, Keystone, & Loveland. And for the money, you can't beat Loveland.