The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
porter
Advanced

Day 5

Up with the sun to ski the Alpental backcountry. A bit of rain and snow fell overnight, creating some wet slide activity, so I kept things mellow.

After a lunch I bought the afternoon ticket for Alpental/Snoqualmie. Alpental is a steep mountain. Snoqualmie, meanwhile, is actually three ski areas put into one. It's all on the same ticket. Snoqualmie is very urban, loud, hip, crowded, and occupies three exits along I-90.

Drove back to Wenatchee, and took a crappy room in a Travelodge, mostly out of necessity for letting my things dry and charging phone/camera/shaver. Had Mexican food. Slept with the heat on.

Day 6

Got a discount ticket for Mission Ridge. Huge place, mellow terrain, lots of very aesthetic rock lined chutes. Less snow, but drier. Nice views of Hood, Rainier, Stuart, and St. Helens, plus the Goat Rocks.

From near the summit ...

Drove through Yakima via a desert route, picking up sage along the way. Slept at White Pass, in the car. Regular for dinner.

Day 7

Skied White Pass. A smaller area. Very windy and cold. Great views of Mt. Rainier.

Drove to Crystal Mountain. Pulled into the overnight parking lot to find something akin to the parking lot parties at Dead concerts -- dogs, bonfires, the occasional skier in a grass skirt. ETC. Regular for dinner.

Day 8

Crystal Mountain is the most resorty and corporate of Washington's ski areas. Lots of high speed lifts. Lots of snow. Lots of great views. Lots and lots of Seattlites up for the day.

Now, this is double diamond ...

This is what a part of the area looks like ...

Lots of nice skiing.

Slept in the car, in the parking lot, and stuffed myself with the remainder of the beer, chips and salsa, and sandwiches.

Day 9

Up at 5 am to pack. Drove into Seattle to an area called Redondo Beach. Walked along the Puget Sound, checking out big ships and the Olympics.

Very reluctantly returned that oddly beautiful Tribeca and went to the airport. Sad mood lifted with a banner view of Rainier, and clear weather all the way home.

The end.
ICEHOCEY77
Intermediate

looked like an awesome time, another question is how easy was it to find a place to overnight?
Philip
Beginner

That's one helluva trip.
g8erhater
Advanced

Porter you are a ski soldier. I bow down to your dedication.
SKISC
Expert

Great trip and pics. But one shower.......How'd you do it. I really like the beer part.
extremeskier11
Beginner

Nice...
SkiCop
Expert

You know there was some cheese forming in the genital region.

Sounds like a trip of a lifetime. That's the way I want to do it one day, with skiing being the only concern. Hats off to you, Porter.
Joel_Maners
Beginner

SkiCop wrote:

I could have spent the rest of my life quite happy without reading that comment! :roll:
SkiCop
Expert

Joel_Maners wrote:

SkiCop wrote:

I could have spent the rest of my life quite happy without reading that comment! :roll:

Something is bound to come along that will make you forget that harmless little comment. :D
SkiCop
Expert

Joel_Maners wrote:

SkiCop wrote:

Something is bound to come along that will make you forget that harmless little comment. :D

Cheese happens!