The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
g8erhater
Advanced

SkiCop wrote:
You know there was some cheese forming in the genital region.

I just vomited in my mouth. LOL!
Zeus
Expert

Got a new goal to put on my list of things to do: Zeus MUST summit Ranier.

Helluva trip Porter! You win the endurance award!
porter
Advanced

Questions asked, questions answered:

1. I brought a -25 degree rated sleeping bag, and folded the rear seat flat to provide a marginally comfortable sleeping area. Most of the time I was so tired I fell right alseep.

2. I slept at trailheads and in ski area parking lots. I was suprised to learn this about PNW ski areas: people tour them and sleep at night in RVs and campers. Some places have just one or two, other ski areas had literally dozens of campers lined up. So they have special parking lots where vehicles can park overnight and not be harassed. Trailheads I slept at were close to the ski area and plowed. Others were just packed down pull outs at the end of lonely roads. I never had a problem, though once a forest ranger shone his light in my window and another time a creepy looking pickup truck idled past me on a deserted road. I moved after that one.

3. I strategically scheduled my shower to fall just after the midway point. No, I was not a pretty sight most of the time. But I figured, one, by skipping motel rooms I could save at least , AT LEAST, $50 a night, and, two, sleeping in motel rooms means it's too easy to stay up late watching TV (watching TV is a real treat for me since I really don't have one at home) and this trip was about skiing every single available minute there was, and not about watching TV.

4. Crotch cheese was ingeniously averted by the total avoidance of underwear, and the occasional cleaning of the general area with a moist towelette, of which I had brought a small pack.
Tmiller72
Expert

Could have done without number 4.
2019-20

Beech: 10
Snowshoe: 3
Alta: 2
Brighton: 1
Solitude: 1
Jackson Hole: 2
teledave
Expert

Ah, you need to master the fine art of bathing in the ski lodge or nearby hotels public restrooms.

Me at roughly 6 AM after sleeping in my Subie in the parking lot at Wintergreen, in the bathroom just off of the lobby of The Inn at Wintergreen,

Standing there in my boxers, head down in the sink with a headful of shampoo.

Security Guard: What do you think you're doing?

Me: Washing my hair. (with the implied 'dumbass' tone)

SG: You can't do that in here!

Me: OK, I'll be done in a minute.

SG: Walks off, dumbfounded.

Me: Now clean and refreshed , ready for a day on the slopes.

(I bet that Tribecca was more comfy than my Outback.)
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you
dreamnofpow
Expert

Nice trip. Although I prefer ski-in ski-out and ski caddys.
SkiCop
Expert

Tmiller72 wrote:

Like none of you have ever had to deal with cheese. If you haven't you've lived too easy of a life.
hnhbaxter
Expert
Tagline: Old School Hall Monitor

SkiCop wrote:

Tmiller72 wrote:

Like none of you have ever had to deal with cheese. If you haven't you've lived too easy of a life.

...forget it...this is gross...

Great trip report...I would think being cold at night was more of a problem than b/o.
If you want big air out of me, pull my finger
SkiCop
Expert

I am living proof that cheese can and will form even after a little trimming. If one spends enough time in adverse conditions with no means of maintaining one's hygiene, cheese can form in places you've only read about.
hnhbaxter
Expert
Tagline: Old School Hall Monitor

SkiCop wrote:
I am living proof that cheese can and will form even after a little trimming. If one spends enough time in adverse conditions with no means of maintaining one's hygiene, cheese can form in places you've only read about.

...T...M...I...
If you want big air out of me, pull my finger