The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
admin

Hi, I was born in Banner Elk and grew up skiing NC -- unfortunately that was many moons ago and I am now FINALLY taking my daughters (16 and 10) on their first ski trip. (2/25-2/27)

Are week days still manageable crouds? I'm thinking of skiing Sun. Twilight (with a lesson for them) and skipping school Mon. to ski a full day and then drive home. My recollection is that Sat. is just not worth it because of the lines. What are lines like on a Monday?

I was planning on going to Sugar, but am open to resort reviews.

Any recommendations on skiing vs. snowboarding for beginners?

Thanks for any help!!
admin

Sorry about the rehashing -- I'd already posted my question before I saw the repeat posts about newbies to NC.

(BTW, the search feature helps, but you don't always know how someone else worded their question, so you don't necessarily find similar posts.)

Lastly, my biggest question that I'd like answered is -- is it worth skipping school to ski on Monday. Is there an appreciable decrease in crowds?

Thanks!!
MSDOG
Expert

JUST LIKE THE SONG SAYS. 'MOMMA'S DON'T LET YOU KIDS GROW UP TO BE BOARDERS'.
admin

Colamom wrote:
Sorry about the rehashing -- I'd already posted my question before I saw the repeat posts about newbies to NC.

(BTW, the search feature helps, but you don't always know how someone else worded their question, so you don't necessarily find similar posts.)

Lastly, my biggest question that I'd like answered is -- is it worth skipping school to ski on Monday. Is there an appreciable decrease in crowds?

Thanks!!

Valid point that others may not have phrased the question like you wish. In response to your question about skipping school on Monday - I would recommend taking your daughters to Beech. Ladies ski free on Mondays. There will be a LOT less people on the snow on Monday than on Sat or Sun.
admin

Ski free! I'm there! That really helps the weekend ski budget.

Traveling, or doing anything, with a family sucks in the $$ department. Everything that seems somewhat affordable is expensive when you times 4.

Do you think girls count as ladies? Hmmmm..... Maybe we can all ski free. I could at least pass the 16 year old off as a lady.
admin

yes any female counts for ladies day.
admin

Thanks so much, really. You guys have helped a lot. It is great to go to an active message board and get a reply. Sometimes you can post a ? and wait two weeks and still not get a reply.

I'm more excited than ever to finally go skiing again!
SkiCop
Expert

GreshamB wrote:
you caught us on a good day...

have fun...

Everyday is a good day at SkiNC.
hnhbaxter
Expert
Tagline: Old School Hall Monitor

SkiCop wrote:

GreshamB wrote:
you caught us on a good day...