The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
pagamony
Advanced

With all the talk about high meadows, poaching, etc... from the recent storm, I was wondering if anything else was going on off piste. Find here the POD from Rays Weather.

I also remember TD posting about some backcountry lines down in the Smokies that he wanted to poach. I wonder if anything happened with that?

As for me, I was skiing the previous three weekends so that was a designated off weekend to do the kids, wife, and house duties. sigh.

anyway, here is the Rays Weather POD in all its glory. Anyone know this Pace Cooper?

http://averyweather.com/beechmountain/forecast.php
admin

what is POD Ray's Weather and what does this have to do with Roan. what's the status of the roan mtn auto road right now? did it ever become ski-able after the latest series of snow storms?

signed,

newbie.
outdoor wood
Intermediate

dang thats pretty, those kind of days will make ya live longer.
Tmiller72
Expert

SWIX007 wrote:
what is POD Ray's Weather and what does this have to do with Roan. what's the status of the roan mtn auto road right now? did it ever become ski-able after the latest series of snow storms?

signed,

newbie.

The Pic of the Day is of a person x-country skiing on Roan.
2019-20

Beech: 10
Snowshoe: 3
Alta: 2
Brighton: 1
Solitude: 1
Jackson Hole: 2
Peter Larkins
Beginner

that is a nice photo.

the auto road and AT are nice for x-country, and when its frozen, good for sledding. its shaded well, so the snow stays around for awhile.

i had a friend make it up to the roan area on Sunday. he boarded around jane bald. here are some photos he took. sorry, no good action shots.

looking towards grassy ridge

here's a photo from Sunday of my local hill in my neighborhood. i was too lazy to ski it in the morning, so when i went back in the afternoon to ski it, 20+ kids with sleds had garbaged it. oh well.
bowen567
Beginner

pagamony wrote:
With all the talk about high meadows, poaching, etc... from the recent storm, I was wondering if anything else was going on off piste. Find here the POD from Rays Weather.

I also remember TD posting about some backcountry lines down in the Smokies that he wanted to poach. I wonder if anything happened with that?

As for me, I was skiing the previous three weekends so that was a designated off weekend to do the kids, wife, and house duties. sigh.

anyway, here is the Rays Weather POD in all its glory. Anyone know this Pace Cooper?

http://averyweather.com/beechmountain/forecast.php

there was a thread last year about backcountry lines on roan mtn, i believe. with pics (much too lazy to use that there search tool and find it myself). anyone else have some nc backcountry stash reports, recent or otherwise? it's warm in atl and i need some stoke.
Spec
Beginner

I went xc skiing last weekend. I went on some of those roads/hiking trails at beech. It was a good way to ski a saturady. I had one of the first chairs. When it got crowded I went xc skiing. On sunday I went to Roan mtn. state park. It was coming down pretty good still, so i didn't drive all the way up. I just screwed around in the campground, some trail thru the woods and got my powder fix on a hill by the visitors center.

I looked at the weather for the smokies today. As of 7:30 this morning there was still lots of snow. I need to see if 441 is open. Tell me about it if it is. I'd like to get up there this weekend. Last monday after the storm leconte had 41''. Crazy. Check out this report:

SMOKY MOUNTAIN TEMPERATURES AND PRECIPITATION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MORRISTOWN TN

827 AM EST THU FEB 16 2006

FOLLOWING IS THE SMOKY MOUNTAIN TEMPERATURE AND PRECIPITATION

INFORMATION, VALID FOR A 24 HOUR PERIOD ENDING AT 7:30 AM.

SUGARLAND CENTER: HIGH 60, LOW 27, PRECIP NONE, SNOW DEPTH 0.

NEWFOUND GAP: HIGH 38, LOW 36, PRECIP NONE, SNOW DEPTH 11.

CADES COVE: HIGH 56, LOW 35, PRECIP NONE, SNOW DEPTH 0.

OCONALUFTEE: HIGH 54, LOW 24, PRECIP NONE, SNOW DEPTH 0.

MOUNT LECONTE: HIGH 39, LOW 27, PRECIP NONE, SNOW DEPTH 28.

THE FOLLOWING TEMPERATURES AND SKY CONDITIONS WERE REPORTED AT 7:30 AM.

SUGARLAND CENTER: 33, PARTLY CLOUDY.

NEWFOUND GAP: 36, CLOUDY.

CADES COVE: 47, PARTLY CLOUDY.

OCONALUFTEE: 34, PARTLY CLOUDY.

MOUNT LECONTE: 33, CLOUDY.
pagamony
Advanced

spec - that's cool. are there trails on top of beech suitable for xc?

peter - how did the snowboarder get from the main road over to jane bald - is there a road or just a trail, i can't remember. now that you are in dc you might be checking out whitegrass and dolly sods.

i haven't xc since our big snow here 5 years ago. i never did learn to glide worth a darn.
Spec
Beginner

Pagamony-

I was looking at that flat spot near the top on chair right going up white lightning. There is a road right next to it. I guess you could ski it. It might even get machine snow. I went mid mountain at the end of beech mountain parakway. Just keep going on the main road. pass the ski area and keep going. the visitor's center has a map. It's still one of those things you can only do if it snows. Give it a try. I've only xc skied 3 times now, and that was my first time in the east. I like it though. Now, if I could only figure out how to turn and stop...
admin

any specs on the auto road last week? did anyone actually XC ski to the top of roan?? the NC/TN balds are my fave spots in the southeast, with the exception of hatteras dunes.

SXIX