The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
SkiCop
Expert

I'll bet. Wanna go to jail, kid?
ut_Twintip
Intermediate

Come into bestbuy, get a 2gb nano and the replacment plan (pretty much get a new one within 2 years for $30). The extra $40 will be worth it. there is, well there ARE MANY reasons why they discontinued the mini. sound problems, click wheel, hard drive, OS, and overheats just to name a few.

Ipods are [poop], I wouldnt buy one if it was my only choice. We get 4-5 back a week.
nicski
Beginner

UT I have been kicking around the ipod idea for under the helmet...what would you buy? Thanks!
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

I use a RCA Lyra Mp3. Just jeep it in your jacket next to you and the batteries stay warm and last 4 times as long. Also have a Creative Mp3 that plugs in USB without the cables. Had the Rca 4 years w/o a problem.

Maybee $100 for the 1Gb but solid performance. Uses sd cards also for more Mem.
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
SkiCop
Expert

I have a Creative Zen Nano 1 GB. Batteries last 12+ hours and it's 1/4 the size of the IPODs. It uses nearly any software to load but I usually use Windows Media Player. Operation is simple and it has a ton of features. Just my $0.02.
ut_Twintip
Intermediate

nicski wrote:
UT I have been kicking around the ipod idea for under the helmet...what would you buy? Thanks!

creative zen micro 6gb for 199

not stuck to iP00P for music

touch controls

Fm radio

battery can be replaced at home

you can redo the firmware yourself instead of having to send it in
SkiCop
Expert

waynecash wrote:
Giro Helmet with the tune-ups kit is an awesome hookup, I know, I have one.

...and I need one. The local shop has a Giro Nine for $80. I think I'll go get one and a set of tune-ups before the summit.
jamsandwich
Expert

i had a 20gb samsung mp3 player with color screen and picture capabilities for the better part of a year until someone broke into my car and d-bowed it. it was awesome, i never had a problem with it, and it was only 219 dollars. 20 gbs is a ton of music, i only had to change my playlists around like 2 or 3 times the entire time i had it.
KneeDeep
Expert

Just so you guys know, I sold it for $170 locally. Oh well...

Now, I thought I'd give some advice- for helmets, go to your local shop and try them all on. Then look on the various online discount shops (Sierra Trading Post, Backcountry, REI Outlet, etc)... you can most definitely get the last year's model of any helmet out there for around $50. I got my Giro Nine for $55, then put the tuneups in. My girl got her Giro Fuse for $39 and it had the Tuneups in it already.

As for MP3 players, the whole reason I sold the Mini was because of the battery. I went skiing today and it lasted 4 hrs. Granted, it was a cold day and the Ipod is a year old... but those 2GB Nanos have a 18-hr battery life. I'm heading to Target right now to get one.
jamsandwich
Expert

the truth comes out. honesty is the best policy, not monetary gain.