The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
dreamnofpow
Expert

Why does our team stink? I don't really follow Hockey, are we not playing with our pros? Or do the NHL pros represent their own countries.
admin

drmnofpow wrote:
the NHL pros represent their own countries.

^
SkiCop
Expert

Talk about losers. They come here to make the big bucks then go home to get the gold. I hate professional sports. They're all a joke.
ICEHOCEY77
Intermediate

Well as the more knowledgeable people on the subject of hockey on this board .... 8)

Yes we are playing our pros, other teams are as well. Since you don't really follow hockey, I guess you don't know that Europeans are also skilled in the game. But to answer your question....

It's comes down to the US hasn't been able to capitalize on their scoring opportunities, there something around 4 for 21 on the Power Play which is pretty crappy. Another point of interest is that the Olympics is played on an ice sheet that is different dimension than that of the NHL, while most European countries use the international version. The US also lacks some of the playmaking forwards that other countries have, most of our guys are skilled in being gritty (something the large ice surface cuts down on) power forwards.

Like in the NHL Playoffs, whoever is to go far in the tournament will have to ride a hot goalie (Canada has been victim of this against the Swiss).
hnhbaxter
Expert
Tagline: Old School Hall Monitor

ICEHOCEY77 wrote:
Well as the more knowledgeable people on the subject of hockey on this board .... 8)

Yes we are playing our pros, other teams are as well. Since you don't really follow hockey, I guess you don't know that Europeans are also skilled in the game. But to answer your question....

It's comes down to the US hasn't been able to capitalize on their scoring opportunities, there something around 4 for 21 on the Power Play which is pretty crappy. Another point of interest is that the Olympics is played on an ice sheet that is different dimension than that of the NHL, while most European countries use the international version. The US also lacks some of the playmaking forwards that other countries have, most of our guys are skilled in being gritty (something the large ice surface cuts down on) power forwards.

Like in the NHL Playoffs, whoever is to go far in the tournament will have to ride a hot goalie (Canada has been victim of this against the Swiss).

Yea, but the hot sticks right now for many of the other teams are also NHL players. Slovakias goals were scored by NHL regulars so to me the ice size/game style argument is a little thin. Also w/ the new rule changes to the NHL which has opened up the game, all NHL forwards should be able to adapt to the international ice size including Cheleos. I have watched the previous two matches and was amazed at the amount of iron the Americans have been hitting. Is it a case of accuracy or nerves because the scoring opportunities have been there.
If you want big air out of me, pull my finger
admin

You guys also have to remember the guys they are playing with aren't their regular team mates so they still don't know each other too well and have that sixth sense of where everyone else is. It's a much overlooked aspect of a team.
SkiCop
Expert

Overpaid prima donnas.............
hnhbaxter
Expert
Tagline: Old School Hall Monitor

SkiCop wrote:

yup, and they spent a year working and living with us mere mortals because of it.
If you want big air out of me, pull my finger
ICEHOCEY77
Intermediate

hnhbaxter wrote:

ICEHOCEY77 wrote:

Yea, but the hot sticks right now for many of the other teams are also NHL players. Slovakias goals were scored by NHL regulars so to me the ice size/game style argument is a little thin. Also w/ the new rule changes to the NHL which has opened up the game, all NHL forwards should be able to adapt to the international ice size including Cheleos. I have watched the previous two matches and was amazed at the amount of iron the Americans have been hitting. Is it a case of accuracy or nerves because the scoring opportunities have been there.

Yes, but those players before coming to the NHL played on international ice, whereas the North Americans usually play to the NHL ice. It seems like a little difference, but it really does matter. As for the rule changes, this is not being officiated by NHL refs, but IIHF refs. You have seen the European officials allowing more clutching,grabbing,and screening than what was permitted in the NHL this season. Also, Chelios is a Defenseman, not a forward, and a 44 year old Defenseman at that....

As for hitting the post, it happens. It's not nerves, most have played in bigger games that the preliminary round of the olympics. I've had my fair share of hitting the post, the aim is true, just a matter of the puck not going where you wanted it to go. It's a game of inches.
ICEHOCEY77
Intermediate

SkiCop wrote:

Baseball called, they want their title back....