The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
g8erhater
Advanced

skiing rules wrote:
speaking of the chees, wasn't it found out that it was one of toast's aliases? i remeber selkirk claimed to have known him

That would be funny if it was true.
g8erhater
Advanced

pagamony wrote:
in a odd way, i sort of miss teh cheese.

I know what you mean.
SkiCop
Expert

Another ski trip foiled by good intentions.

Teh cheese kept things stirred up. I wish he'd come back.
hnhbaxter
Expert
Tagline: Old School Hall Monitor

pagamony wrote:

the girls are 10 each. i actually thought this was a good idea. double argggggggg.

Do they have a ski wee program? I think the cut-off is 10 yrs. old or at least it is @ Sugar and App. $60-70 gets them a liftie, lunch and lessons. It gets you 6 hrs. of freedom!
If you want big air out of me, pull my finger
hnhbaxter
Expert
Tagline: Old School Hall Monitor

waynecash wrote:
My kids were entered into private lessons at App for 1 hour and they love it now. They have been 3 times this year and they never complain, they only want to stay longer..

My son had a great time w/ the snowboard instructor at App. this yr. The guy was about 18 and treated my son with great respect. I spent the time trying to get down thin slice etc. as many times as possible.
If you want big air out of me, pull my finger
pagamony
Advanced

hnhbaxter wrote:

pagamony wrote:

the girls are 10 each. i actually thought this was a good idea. double argggggggg.

Do they have a ski wee program? I think the cut-off is 10 yrs. old or at least it is @ Sugar and App. $60-70 gets them a liftie, lunch and lessons. It gets you 6 hrs. of freedom!

the problem on this trip was emotional, not physcial. both girls are capable, mine has bagged a few southern black diamonds. the other girl just decided she felt too crummy, in a metaphysical way, to ski. my girl was very disappointed but handled it well.

skiwee is really only for younger kids, a 10 year old would be quickly bored. my 4 year old did the frosty frogs at wintergreen this year and that was a good fit (i thought i had a pod winner, but no luck). I actually like skiing with my two older kids - 10 and 12.

anyway, to end the long story, after quickly assessing the situation this morning, I didn't even buy lift tickets today. we went over to pipestem state park and emma and i checked out the (closed) tram and made several runs on a suitable hillside. the other girl sat in the van. expect a trip report on ski pipestem soon.
KevinS
Beginner

Emma is my youngest ones name. Pretty unusual to hear it.

I would tell your daughter to leave the friend at home next time.
TNKen
Intermediate

Know what you mean about the kids. My oldest is almost 15, and the twins are almost 12. All are very competent skiers, and can get themselves and their gear together and ready for the mountain.

Oftentimes, they want to bring friends. Not a good thing. The kids are usually first timers, or may ski once a year. What we have learned is that when they come, the girls take snowboard lessons which puts everyone kind of back on the same beginning level. Unfortunately, they are getting better at snowboarding as well, and again, get bored with novice skiers hanging around.

Biggest idjut I have seen this year was a fellow about 6'2" tall coming down Shawneehaw on a crowded day with his 3 year old riding on his shoulders still with her skis on.

Ken
g8erhater
Advanced

TNKen wrote:
Biggest idjut I have seen this year was a fellow about 6'2" tall coming down Shawneehaw on a crowded day with his 3 year old riding on his shoulders still with her skis on.

Ken

Ummmmmm. Wow. Was he trying to kill her?
ut_Twintip
Intermediate

We are bringing kids to the slopes saterday.

Thier names are lindsey and matt. Matt has skiied before, but the little one lindsey has skied before as well..

:oops: