The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
admin

I agree with IceHockey but I also hate these kinds of generalizations saying Bode is an embarrassment. He's still one of the best skiers in the world. Darren and others have messed up and missed gates in these same Olympics and nobody calls to question his work ethics.

Yes, Bode brings some of this on himself - with the rebel attitude...but truthfully we seem to embrace that with other sports stars like all of the snowboarders, and pretty much anyone in the NBA, NFL etc and that's been happening ever since Broadway Joe Namath of the New York Jets back in 1964.

So give Bode a break. He's young and he's doing nothing more or less than our SkiNC / Utah Summit crew did while in Utah!

He's doing his thing and even when he messes up, he's an amazing skier. Did anyone see that remarkable "almost yard sale" the other night when we was dragging his leg behind him for a 100+ yards before regaining his stance? Amazing athelete.
g8erhater
Advanced

admin wrote:
He's doing his thing and even when he messes up, he's an amazing skier. Did anyone see that remarkable "almost yard sale" the other night when we was dragging his leg behind him for a 100+ yards before regaining his stance? Amazing athelete.

I have no idea how he maintained his balance then.
SKISC
Expert

I think that what he does on his own time is his own business. He does have a life. I enjoy the bars myself. I know I am not in the spotlight nor ever will be and he is but he still has his own life and deserves that. He is a great skier, he has had a few bad runs. Nobody is perfect all the time. I think that sometimes the press tries to make things bigger than they are these days just because they can. Give the guy a break. He isn't doing anything most of us don't do or have done in our youunger years.
ICEHOCEY77
Intermediate

g8erhater wrote:

admin wrote:

I have no idea how he maintained his balance then.

The extra slow motion replay they had was one of the most amazing things I have ever witnessed in my life.
dreamnofpow
Expert

Quote:
but I also hate these kinds of generalizations saying Bode is an embarrassment

You are missing the point. This is the Olympics, it only happens every 4 years. No doubt Bode is an incredible skier/athlete and very gifted, but imagine how much better he would be if he focused on training instead of partying. IMO He is unprepared for these Olympics. He's got one more event to prove me wrong.
extremeskier11
Beginner

drmnofpow wrote:

Quote:

You are missing the point. This is the Olympics, it only happens every 4 years. No doubt Bode is an incredible skier/athlete and very gifted, but imagine how much better he would be if he focused on training instead of partying. IMO He is unprepared for these Olympics. He's got one more event to prove me wrong.

I've been telling my self the same thing. I for some reason think he will medal in the Slalom because no1 expects it, but ever1 expected him to do good in the past 3 events.. o well guess we will see
afrobigfoot
Expert

drmnofpow wrote:

Quote:

I agree %100
afrobigfoot
Expert

waynecash wrote:
Bode is a rebel, the world needs a rebel. One who breaks rules and is the bad guy.

Look at what it has got him so far.

Not a gold medal, thats for sure.

Nothing wrong with being a rebel, or not listening to all the rules, but there is a place to draw the line, specially during a time like this.

I really love how the world is going, when its time for me to have kids/raise them, all the "role" models out there will be party obsessed animals, i cant wait till my kids look up to jackass's like him, and get the idea its cool to go out and get drunk, then do something like skiing, or driving, or anything else you could do that could put your life into serious danger.
dreamnofpow
Expert

Amen Afro- Somebody gets it. How about Ligety, he won the GOLD in combined, skied his butt off, I guess he is too clean cut and trains hard (like the Austrians) that is boring, he needs to drink or smoke and party with the in-crowd to get the marketing dollars. We need more Ricky Williams, TO's and Dennis Rodman's. They are great role models....durrrr.
admin

There's a time to party, and if you're an Olympian, there's a good chunk of time you HAVE to devote to training. None of those biathletes or cross-country skiiers could get away with a party lifestyle. I'm not judging, though. Every sport is different. For better or worse, Bode Miller has proved that you can party with the rest of 'em while being an Olympic downhill skiier. But let me throw in a quick judgement -- he looked absolutely shaky and tired yesterday.