The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
admin

I am looking for help in purchasing a snowboard. I have been to some area shops but am either hampered by limited selection or less than knowledgeable employees.

I have been boarding about a dozen times over the past couple years in the NC and surrounding areas. I am slated to take my first trip out west to Vail in March.

Here are my stats:

male 42

5'10"

190 lbs, will be around 180 by next season

board 15 or so days in NC/VA/WV

1-2 trips or so per year out west

all resort slopes, no real interest in park or backcountry at this time

I am a decent beginnner, and will progress eventually to a solid intermediate

I am currently using a GNU Carbon High Beam 156.

Questions:

1. Is the GNU CHB 156 an appropriate board for me? While I fit within the weight limits, several have said it is too light. Being so new I am not sure what, if anything I would be missing with a longer board at my level.

2. Will this board work out west due to the snow being more powery than over here?

3. Any recommendations on other boards? Would the GNU CHB 159 be a better fit for me? The weight range from the manufacturer has the 159 at 140-200 which seems very wide and I am at the upper range.

Thanks tremendously for any help!

Tommy
Murphy
Beginner

Kind of funny but that was the exact board I was going to recommend...only longer. I'm riding the Gnu 156 and I'm about 30 pounds lighter than you. I don't have a lot of experience riding the higher end boards but I think the Gnu is a great board for intermediates, especially for the money.

My only question is it pronounced "guh-new or "new". :?
dreamnofpow
Expert

The GNU sounds like a good board for you now. I bet you will quickly out grow it by next season. I started riding a 156 and moved up to a 159. There are too many good boards out there, it's hard to pick one. Try to demo one out west if you can. My general rule is to stay away from foam core boards, they are cheaper construction and have odd flex patterns. At least a partial wood core is your best bet.

This place has some good deals:

http://www.the-house.com/snbd.html
N8Capps
Beginner

go with a Ride board.....they make a great board....maybe a timeless 156
admin

Get a Libtech Jamie Lynn Blue Girl 157
admin

Do you all think the Gnu CHB 156 will be too short for the conditions out west? I am planning a trip to Vail/Beaver Creek, will be on the main resort slopes, no backcountry.

It does fine on our east coast icey stuff but don't want to drag it across the country if it won't work well. Thanks.

T
Murphy
Beginner

I'm sure it would be fine if you're sticking to the groomed runs.