The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
Zeus
Expert

Decided on a whim to run up to Ober to get some night skiing in last night. Got there around seven, got a parking spot right next to the front door. Decent conditions, a little slushy in places but overall FAST, but the great thing was NO CROWDS! It was practically empty up there. Don't know if the negative PR from the lift situation the day before got to them or what, or if it was the end of the holiday weekend, but it was a ghost town.

One downside was they had groomed Mogul ridge down. Not one to look at the glass as half-empty, I made the best of the situation. They had left three nice huge rounders that you could just fly off of. I spent several of my runs doing just that, trying to practice getting my tailgrab down. About the third time I went big on them, i ate crappola hard...easily the best fall in several seasons for me. As I was sliding down the slope on my face, I actually had time to think "So this is why I wwear a helmet!"

Once again, the lifties were in good spirits and the whole staff seemed to be happy (thats two trips in a row where that has happened...wow!). On the way out I ran into the GM, and knowing that he probably had a crappy day the day before, I complimented him on the snow and told him how good it was out there that night. So he tells me that they are gonna try to stay open as long as possible, and start making snow again soon. I tell him as long as they stay open, I'll keep coming back.

Overall a good 3.5 lightning bolts out of 5. A good way to spend the night.
SkiCop
Expert

I would never go Greek.