The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

The "Remember When" thread

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
Bultaco188c
Beginner

I remember when as a student at WCU in the late 70's lift tickets being $3 at Sapphire Valley on weeknights and going over to Gatlingburg in the fall and spring and skiing on that wet artificial turf,beads or whatever it was.

keith
teledave
Expert

And if you could find the gear you used at Gatlinburg then, it would still somehow have some of those beads in it. I think those things regenerated themselves.
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you
jeffryc
Expert

@Bultaco188c 170818 wrote:I remember when as a student at WCU in the late 70's lift tickets being $3 at Sapphire Valley on weeknights and going over to Gatlingburg in the fall and spring and skiing on that wet artificial turf,beads or whatever it was.

keith

Astroturf and silicone pellets. It was not fun!
teledave
Expert

jeffryc;170820 wrote:
Astroturf and silicone pellets. It was not fun!

I loved it. First time I ever skiied was on that turf.
jeffryc
Expert

@teledave 170821 wrote:I loved it. First time I ever skiied was on that turf.

And you've probably still got the stone bruises!
teledave
Expert

Nah. I was good from the start.
TannerP
Expert

remember mental hats? Oh wait those are still around.
bamapilot
Expert

Bultaco188c;170818 wrote:
I remember when as a student at WCU in the late 70's lift tickets being $3 at Sapphire Valley on weeknights and going over to Gatlingburg in the fall and spring and skiing on that wet artificial turf,beads or whatever it was.

keith

That was back when the ice skating rink was in a building all its own.
Bultaco188c
Beginner

If I remember it was okay when wet but deadly when dry. We would take skates sticks and pucks and mess around after the last sessions at that dark old ice rink.

keith
skiatlanta
Advanced

the old old messageboard. i think only a couple here would