The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

The "Remember When" thread

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
want2go2dasno
Beginner

remember when you were suppose to yell "single" in lift line if you were an odd man out?
FRIDAY
Beginner

How about:

1) When App did not allow snow boarders

2) When you had to rely on the recorded snow reports and not the accurate SKINC reports
StealthBoarder
Expert

when webcams didn't exist and you had no idea what it looked like on the mountain
pagamony
Advanced

- checking ski reports in the newspaper

- ski reports on the radio

- calling the ski areas ahead of time.

- the big yearly ski book with hundreds of trail maps all scaled to the page, it made beech mountain look like vail.

- ski south magazine

- wintergreen with only 3 lifts and 8 slopes

- bus trips to Killington

- bus trips to Appalachian

challenge:

does anyone actually remember the t-bar at app?

@jeffryc 170956 wrote:Great list. I always wondered why that midstation was on Cupp Run. Then I found out. They would make snow on the top and then do the bottom.

That's why they put one in for this year. But then it snowed in december and they opened it all the way. Still a good idea that came back.

I can check everything on the list except for OG where I have never been. Including skiing on Cascade Mountain at Fancy Gap - my first encounter with the world of skinny skis, coil spring bindings, and a real rope tow.
want2go2dasno
Beginner

how about the old gondola on beech

Austrian ski instructors at beech ladderhosen and all
jeffryc
Expert

@MBlacky1051 171005 wrote:There are 2 lost ski areas in Tennessee, Viking Mountain between Greeneville, TN and Mars Hill, NC. Someone posted some info on this resort about 4-5 years ago, but I can't locate it. There's another lost ski area in Tennessee called Renegade Mountain that was on the Cumberland Plateau near Crossville.

I remember Renegade but I never skied there. Viking I'm not familiar with.
hnhbaxter
Expert
Tagline: Old School Hall Monitor

Remember when...

Extreme skiing was Ski Jumping

Ski Jumping did not use the flying V

Solomon 555's ruled the mountain

How about the first step in binding by Geeze? All Stainless steel

Hansen Ultra-light boots

Hart Freestyles and Freespirits

you still saw lace ups on the slopes from time to time

Ingamar Stenmark

skiing with your knees slammed together like a baptist high school girl was considered good technique

watching the cool skiers do daffys and back scratchers (I still pull the back scratcher from time to time)

Reingold Beer, Schaffer Beer, Gobels Beer, Knickerbocker Beer, Schiltz Beer (not the bull), Steel City Beer, etc.
If you want big air out of me, pull my finger
swamphox
Expert

@hnhbaxter 171014 wrote:Remember when...

Extreme skiing was Ski Jumping

Ski Jumping did not use the flying V

Solomon 555's ruled the mountain

How about the first step in binding by Geeze? All Stainless steel

Hansen Ultra-light boots

Hart Freestyles and Freespirits

you still saw lace ups on the slopes from time to time

Ingamar Stenmark

skiing with your knees slammed together like a baptist high school girl was considered good technique

watching the cool skiers do daffys and back scratchers (I still pull the back scratcher from time to time)

Reingold Beer, Schaffer Beer, Gobels Beer, Knickerbocker Beer, Schiltz Beer (not the bull), Steel City Beer, etc.

you can still get schlitz and schaeffer if u look around...I worked for classic city, which distributed their stuff in northeast ga....our biggest area for both was blue ridge due to the amount of retired yankees with nothing better to do than drink

a good bet is a liquor store near a college town...I assure you that if they dont have it that they can point u in the right direction
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
downhillNC
Advanced

@hnhbaxter 171014 wrote:Remember when...

skiing with your knees slammed together like a baptist high school girl was considered good technique.

That's AWESOME, Bill!
almost good
Beginner

@gdwindowpane 170864 wrote:Remember when skis didn't have brakes. You had to have a run away strap. You would still see at least one run away ski a night... Usually with a JONG running down after it...

I remember these, and how if you wiped out and a ski came of it would beat you to death as you slid and rolled down the mountain.

What about Head metal skis, they made that metallic sound when you were on ice.