The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

NC resorts in March?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

There will be plenty of skiing in March to be had in NC! the base depths are super deep this year. I would bet on Sugar having 75% open thru about the 24th of March.. they close up then regardless of conditions due to low ticket sales ..Barring any heavy warm rains.
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
almost good
Beginner

I skied Sugar after Beech was closed last year and the year before, both times on about 6" of fresh (natural) new snow. March can be great in NC.
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

I skiied Sugar in a large storm that dropped over a foot on the 23rd of march and they closed the nextday....lack of traffic usually closes our resorts before the spring thaw does
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Best turns I've ever had in North Carolina were on March 25th, two years ago. Snow was overhead with every turn on Whoop at Sugar. It was insane. Here's a video from the day after.

[youtube][/youtube]
2slikstix wrote:lack of traffic usually closes our resorts before the spring thaw does
^^^This.
WOOOOOO!

SalisburySkier
Beginner

Speaking of NC skiing in March....anyone have any opinions on Saturday crowds vs. Sunday crowds at Beech and Sugar? This Saturday looks to be sunnier than Sunday and I cannot remember the last time I skied on a Saturday. I have been going on Sundays to try to dodge the crowds. I really don't want to spend all day in line when I could have just waited a day to go.
jamsandwich
Expert

it probably won't be crowded at beech this weekend. even though acoustic syndicate and big daddy love are playing and it should be
SalisburySkier
Beginner

Thanks for the input Jam, do you have any info on the quad? It is going to be my 4 year old's first day so it probably will not matter this weekend, but I will be up with a group next weekend and I am curious how it has been running. I noticed on Beech's website a disclaimer that grease may fall on you while riding the lift.....nice.
I still have the opinion that Beech better get their lift problems fixed ASAP, or they may not have a ski mountain much longer.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

SalisburySkier wrote:Thanks for the input Jam, do you have any info on the quad? It is going to be my 4 year old's first day so it probably will not matter this weekend, but I will be up with a group next weekend and I am curious how it has been running. I noticed on Beech's website a disclaimer that grease may fall on you while riding the lift.....nice.
I still have the opinion that Beech better get their lift problems fixed ASAP, or they may not have a ski mountain much longer.
Can't wait to see his response to this haha.
WOOOOOO!

SalisburySkier
Beginner

Yeah I feel like there is a story to this that we haven't heard yet. I love Beech, it was my favorite place to ski while I was at App (2000-2005). They had a season pass that was only $200 that was good Sun-Thur non-holidays. I hope they get this quad thing worked out.
jamsandwich
Expert

the quad you say???? wellllll.....

the u joint popped again yesterday afternoon and they fixed it. then, during the night session, the driveshaft got so f***ed it sheared bolts off. im pretty sure its down for a while, maybe the rest of the season. they had to do emergency rescues again, this time in the rain and fog.

I wouldn't be surprised to see lift 6 being the only lift to the top for the rest of the season. Something is seriously wrong with that quad drivetrain and it hasn't been addressed all year, why would that change in what is traditionally the last 2 weeks of the season.

I have been a huge advocate for Beech over the past few years. I love the mountain and the potential it has. I love the way they treat their customers compared to sugar. I wish they could step it up a bit though. Call me a dreamer. If that place had a reliable high speed lift, a better focus on the terrain park, a few more lights, and a bit more upkeep it could be like Boreal in Tahoe. I don't see how they couldnt be crushing it. Its packed there every weekend yet we are dealing with the same issues over and over. I'd be willing to pay twice as much for a pass if they offered a product as good as Boreal. The passes cost the same at both places...