The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Season Plans Yet? Where's everyone headed?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
resolutejb
Beginner

Thinking snow tonight - just been adding finishing touches to some trips and trying to think of where I can add some other ones (and fit them in the calendar)..

Who has plans made for some firm dates yet, and where you headed? We ended up buying the Mountain Collective and the Max pass this year so I want to get some use out of them. Used the Mountain Collective in Sept. in Chile already once, so I'm rolling..

Plans booked so far -

Thanksgiving Weekend - Snowmass/Aspen
1st week in Dec. - Somewhere in upstate NY/VT/Mt. Tremblant Canada (working the week in Montreal and driving up from NYC so I can hit some of the places on the way on the weekends coming and going - all MAX pass places)
2nd week December - Mountain Creek, NJ (about 1 hour outside NYC, where I will be all week for work - on MAX pass)

Christmas - Saalbach, Austria - Ski Christmas Eve and Day
Chamonix, France - between Christmas and New Year (It's Mountain Collective - so 2 "free" days- hurray!)
New Years Eve and Day - Verbier, Switzerland - awesome place to celebrate New Years Eve in ski village!

1st week in Jan - hopefully some night skiing in NJ - Mountain Creek - when I have to be back working in NYC
2nd week Jan - Headed to Venice with my wife and then Cortina, Italy for 4 days skiing in Italian Alps
Late Jan. weekend - Squaw Valley/Boreal (Tahoe - Mtn. Collective)

nothing yet in Feb, except the one week I have to be in NYC for work (so hopefully night skiing again)

Early March - Banff (Sunshine or Lake Louise - Mountain Collective)

Still want to fit in some time for Utah and Mammoth and possibly Japan where I have to go for wedding in May (very tail end of season)... Mammoth should be good up until Memorial Day I figure..

I am wondering if I will even have time to try Cataloochee this season (closest place to home in ATL..) - maybe some evenings through the week??? I seriously need more vacation time...

Shaping to up to be a most excellent season - hoping for TONS of snow all over the Northern Hemisphere for us all!!
marzski
Advanced

From what I've heard of Mountain Creek, I think if I were in NYC then I would do a little more driving and use the MAX Pass at Belleayre instead. Hoping to ski Belleayre on Dec. 17 on the way to Boston.

My trips out west are to Taos and Telluride in February using the MCP. Then a long stay at Alta Lodge in late March and the first couple weeks of April. My daughter is getting another spring break ski trip to Alta in March. Her friends she met there six years ago have the same week off from school. Could be the last chance for them to ski together until after college.

Hoping conditions at Snowbasin will be good enough in early April to use the MCP there for at least a day.

Plan to be at Massanutten in January a fair amount. Starting with the demo weekend Jan. 6-7, then the MLK long weekend, and perhaps one more weekend. Like to get back in the swing of things before flying out west.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
Castiel
Beginner

Well plans for me are simple this year having to save vacation for next fall.

So I will be skiing night sessions every chance I get at Beech, Sugar and Wolf.

Then plan on taking a couple of day trips up to Winterplace capping off the season with a trip to Snowshoe in early march.
17/18 Skiing Days: Beech 1, Cat 1, Wolf 1, App 1
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

My wife and I got married at the end of September. We took a "mini-moon" to Charleston for several days. Our real honeymoon is going to be in February when we go to Park City for a week. She's never been out west before and I've been to Utah many times but never Park City. Staying in a place in Canyons Village. Pretty stoked!

Other than that, it's Beech, App, and Snowshoe for me.
WOOOOOO!

resolutejb
Beginner

Glad all the plans are being set out there!

Marzski, I agree Balleyre looks better than Mountain Creek (never been to either of those places yet), but the problem is that it is basically 1.5 hours further away from my company's office in NJ, so that would effectively preclude any through the week night skiing. I can get to Mountain Creek within 1 hour, so if I leave the office before 6, I can probably get in a couple of hours per night, vs. making it to Balleyre right as they close. But maybe one weekend I can make it up there since it is on the Max pass too (TONS of places on the ice coast included in that pass..).

What have you heard specifically about Mountain Creek - I would be most curious to know, but I can only imagine what the nearest ski slope to NYC must be like! PRobably some sights to behold (if it's anything like the closest beaches to NYC - such as Jones beach,etc.) - but I guess I got to do what I got to do to stay on the snow when having to be up there for a week a month... I ended up buying a $350 season pass to Mountain Creek and doing the MAX pass add on for the same price as buying the MAX pass overall - since I figured that would be the only MAX pass slope I could conceivably use for over 5 days or evenings.. I'll see how my forecasting works out this season I guess.
marzski
Advanced

theKENDOG wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:24 am My wife and I got married at the end of September. We took a "mini-moon" to Charleston for several days. Our real honeymoon is going to be in February when we go to Park City for a week. She's never been out west before and I've been to Utah many times but never Park City. Staying in a place in Canyons Village. Pretty stoked!

Other than that, it's Beech, App, and Snowshoe for me.
Congrats! Hope you take a day to show her Alta when you are at Park City.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
safeTmanEd
Beginner

Heading to Brianhead, UT the last week of January. Been there twice and really love the snow and the fact that it's not a place that is crowded like many of the more well known ski resorts.
"Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." -- Einstein
marzski
Advanced

resolutejb wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:20 am Glad all the plans are being set out there!

Marzski, I agree Balleyre looks better than Mountain Creek (never been to either of those places yet), but the problem is that it is basically 1.5 hours further away from my company's office in NJ, so that would effectively preclude any through the week night skiing. I can get to Mountain Creek within 1 hour, so if I leave the office before 6, I can probably get in a couple of hours per night, vs. making it to Balleyre right as they close. But maybe one weekend I can make it up there since it is on the Max pass too (TONS of places on the ice coast included in that pass..).

What have you heard specifically about Mountain Creek - I would be most curious to know, but I can only imagine what the nearest ski slope to NYC must be like! PRobably some sights to behold (if it's anything like the closest beaches to NYC - such as Jones beach,etc.) - but I guess I got to do what I got to do to stay on the snow when having to be up there for a week a month... I ended up buying a $350 season pass to Mountain Creek and doing the MAX pass add on for the same price as buying the MAX pass overall - since I figured that would be the only MAX pass slope I could conceivably use for over 5 days or evenings.. I'll see how my forecasting works out this season I guess.
Ah, night skiing midweek is a completely different situation when driving from NJ.

Mountain Creek is in transition. Snow Operating has taken over operations. That's the consulting company that has been working with ski areas/resorts to set up Terrain Based Learning (TM) and make their whole ski school operation more friendly and efficient. Cat and Snowshoe work with Snow Operating. The co-founders used to run things at Mountain Creek. I guess the folks who took over didn't know enough to keep things moving in the right direction.

As for the actual skiing experience, don't really know much. But when newbies in NYC would ask on EpicSki where to go, usually Mountain Creek was nowhere near the top of the list.
davidski
Expert

I had a great time at Belleayre and Plattekille end of last March -- places I will definately return to , Great trees and I a lot of backcountry roots that I just barely touched

http://www.skisoutheast.com/messageboar ... 76#p643876
jt3
Intermediate

jackson/targhee for a week in jan followed by two weeks in summit co. cant wait!