The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Season Plans Yet? Where's everyone headed?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
davidski
Expert

jt3 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:41 am jackson/targhee for a week in jan followed by two weeks in summit co. cant wait!
When are you going to summit co?
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

marzski wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:05 pm Congrats! Hope you take a day to show her Alta when you are at Park City.
She's a snowboarder too, thankfully. I might try and take her to Brighton or Solitude though.
WOOOOOO!

spydeeTJB
Intermediate

Basecamp Snowshoe, Vail late Feb, possibly Mammoth and hopeful for a Canaan Valley excursion with resident snow-leopard davidski.
marzski
Advanced

davidski wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:48 pm I had a great time at Belleayre and Plattekille end of last March -- places I will definately return to , Great trees and I a lot of backcountry roots that I just barely touched

http://www.skisoutheast.com/messageboar ... 76#p643876
Belleayre's new gondola from the Discovery Lodge to the summit is supposed to open in December. Be interesting to see if that brings in more people. Hope not too many during the winter. But plenty during the summer to bring in revenue.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
marzski
Advanced

theKENDOG wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:57 am
marzski wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:05 pm Congrats! Hope you take a day to show her Alta when you are at Park City.
She's a snowboarder too, thankfully. I might try and take her to Brighton or Solitude though.
Then Brighton over Solitude I think.

The Olympic Museum is worth half a day when staying in Park City.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
fitzyfitz1313
Beginner

I don't have any huge trip plans since I'm trying to save up money. I've got a 4 day weekend from Dec 9th-12th after taking the LSAT the prior Saturday so I'm hoping to make it up to Snowshoe for a few days to blow off some steam then, assuming conditions are suitable. Unfortunately due to my job being particularly busy during Jan/Feb (with multiple required weekends) it will be tough other than the holiday weekends, so I am going to roll over all 5 PTO days I am allowed and hope to use those for some random mid-week skiing at the NC resorts. I still haven't made it to Cat yet...wanted to last year but they never got things going 100% due to the warmer weather/water issues, so that will be on the to-do list. I also want to do Wolf when they are in good shape as well (went a couple years ago but they weren't 100% open and had to close the top of the lift due to gusty winds) but that seems like an unfortunate rarity.

Fingers crossed for better skiing/snow-making weather in NC this year.
'18-'19 season days skied: 1 (Sugar 1)
resolutejb
Beginner

safeTmanEd wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:06 pm Heading to Brianhead, UT the last week of January. Been there twice and really love the snow and the fact that it's not a place that is crowded like many of the more well known ski resorts.
I have good things about Brian Head from people I met at Mammoth Moutain. Enjoy! Too bad it's not on the MAX pass, as I would like to give it a try this winter, especially as I will probably drive through there on my way from Vegas to Utah (SLC area resorts..) - but maybe we will have to stop and try it anyway..
jt3
Intermediate

Davidski - i leave Jackson on 14th and drive down to breck. I’ll be there prob 2 weeks depending in weather.... i have a buddy that lives in breck and I’m fortunate to get to base there. Use the epic local pass to head wherever the snow says to. Usually spend a lot of time hiking above the peaks at breck when conditions permit.
davidski
Expert

I will probably be in Summit Co too that time, I'd hike a little for some new turns.

Wow, Season Plans? I have such high hopes, or maybe not. I don't expect to go anywhere amazing this year, I just want enough snow to ski the hell out of my usual suspects and go a little deeper off the sides.

Summit Co. as mentioned and new terrain at A-basin. In the neighboring county, more stuff on the west side of Berthoud, and maybe Floral park all the way to the lower switchback which is just past my comfort zone on the eastside. I want to Ski Mayflower Gulch but from the top of the cornice approaching from the hwy a mile above the trailhead. I want to ski a bunch of inbound trees at Copper that I just realized were hidden in plain site.

I want to ski Loveland pass on a full moon, I want to ski the trees on the tram side of Monarch Pass all the way to the campground a few miles down.

I really want to catch a good day and ski Wolf Laurel for the first time. I will be not just disappointed but shattered if I don't make turns in the trees at Whitegrass this year after last season's disappointment.

I also have started obsessing about the side country stuff around Bellearye and Plattekill, so much of it is land owned by the state of New York but snow is pretty doubtful for natural tree skiing

That and some natural powder days at beech would be sufficient.

Also I'd like to ski some days with other folks on the message board weather on formal or impromptu summits
Old Fart
Beginner

Just ski more than I did last year. Definitely going to UT in Feb. We need a solid season after the last two debacles.