The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Beech Mountain 11/17

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
canadianbacon828
Beginner

Update 11/30/18: Rode Beech this morning. Great coverage top to bottom! Visibility wasn't great but the snow was absolutely fantastic! The new lift #5 ie the Quad was running great and the new conveyor is sweeeeet! They are still dialing in timing and speed but man what an improvement! The updates to snowmaking has made a night and day difference compared to seasons past.
davidski
Expert

Wait the Quad was open, it doesn't appear to be running as I look at the webcam
canadianbacon828
Beginner

davidski wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:07 pm Wait the Quad was open, it doesn't appear to be running as I look at the webcam
They are currently doing some more tests since it is a slow day due to the weather. I am sure they will have it going again shortly. It takes some time to dial in these new lifts. I got stuck on the lift at Sugar the other night for 30 min. Just goes with the territory.

Edit: I took a short lunch break and they are running no problem. Man the snow is really good today!
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

canadianbacon828 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:18 pm Edit: I took a short lunch break and they are running no problem. Man the snow is really good today!
Pics/video or it didn't happen.
WOOOOOO!

Bultaco
Beginner

I've heard they have contracted out snowmaking this year. We were up last Sat and snow quality was very good, and especially noticeable on lower Shawneehaw which was very fast even with a couple of air/water guns on. Usually quite sticky early in season with marginal temps. Somebody knows what their doing
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Bultaco wrote:I've heard they have contracted out snowmaking this year. We were up last Sat and snow quality was very good, and especially noticeable on lower Shawneehaw which was very fast even with a couple of air/water guns on. Usually quite sticky early in season with marginal temps. Somebody knows what their doing
How’s the grooming? That’s been my biggest complaint. Always seems like a rush job with divots, cat tracks, and death cookies everywhere.
WOOOOOO!

davidski
Expert

Divets and death cookies are features!

But I can't wait hope to be there late next week
canadianbacon828
Beginner

They haven't "contracted out" snowmaking per say. They still have their own crew but have brought in several guys that work for SMI that spent a lot of time in New Zealand. They also brought a guy on from Whiteface. I ride the bike park almost every day in the summer and saw SMI pretty much every day. They went through every single piece of snowmaking and tuned every gun up. They also participate in the J1 foreign exchange program which is rad. As far as grooming goes I thought it was good last year. Ryan, Robbie, and Chase all do an awesome job imo. Pretty sure I saw Ryan grooming this morning. Everything was consistant, no cookies or weird divots anywhere.
davidski
Expert

OK this seems strange, judging from the webcam Beech is not blowing snow? doesn't really look like they did last night either, no evidence of overblow. Sugar is blazing
Bultaco
Beginner

Notice same thing. Kelly Melang's facebook showed them blasting tubing run pretty hard, also looks like making snow on park, and lower mtn
with air/water guns. nothing on upper mtn that i can tell