The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

I'm Booked at Sugar Through the Storm

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
davidski
Expert

Yes, jt3, It was a good opening to a powder day -- your picture shows how relentless Sugar is to make snow ... NO MATTER WHAT

great to meet you, I'm going to get some pictures up
TSI
Beginner

Looked like a great weekend!
18/19
Beech Mtn 1
davidski
Expert

great is relative, if that had been 20 inches at TL or CVR or Plattekill? Yes, but Sugars greed managed to kill it
deere25
Beginner

When the inevitable winter thaw hits, and we all know it will. the resorts that chose to not make snow will be losing trail counts and Sugar will have plenty of snow on theirs and all will be thankful that they took the opportunity to make snow. If the last 3 or 4 winter seasons have shown anything, it is that you can't make enough snow when you have the chance. Sorry, but the ski industry is about making money just like any business. If they piss off a few customers building up their base, so be it. When it is 55 and sunny in February it will pay off for them.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

deere25 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:40 am When the inevitable winter thaw hits, and we all know it will. the resorts that chose to not make snow will be losing trail counts and Sugar will have plenty of snow on theirs and all will be thankful that they took the opportunity to make snow. If the last 3 or 4 winter seasons have shown anything, it is that you can't make enough snow when you have the chance. Sorry, but the ski industry is about making money just like any business. If they piss off a few customers building up their base, so be it. When it is 55 and sunny in February it will pay off for them.
I've written articles on the site in the past few years where I pretty much reiterate the same thing. Most of the time I completely agree with you. That said, this was a historical snow storm and I don't think it was going to make or break their season if they had turned the guns off for 12-14 hours.
WOOOOOO!

deere25
Beginner

You are absolutely correct stating it won't make or break the season, but the last 3 seasons dictate that you make as much as you can when you can to survive. Last season I think resorts got to make snow like only 3 days in February. It sucks if it disappointed a few folks but just looking at the bigger picture. There are way more patrons coming in the next few months than the ones upset by a day of snowmaking.
davidski
Expert

what kendog said, I also have little patience with complaints about snowmaking, this was a unique situation; you had to be there to really get it, and I suspect patrol hates it, the risk factor goes up a lot with crowds and already naturally low visibility, and most peoples difficulty with deeper snow, an 8hr hiatus would not have harmed skiing in feb, and other resorts recognized that
Last edited by davidski on Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jt3
Intermediate

Risk-Reward-Revenue tough calls all..... oh well. at least we had some beers and did some turns!
Juice
Beginner

You don’t get days like this very often in nc. It would have been nice if sugar let people enjoy the experience. I heard a lot of complaints when I was at beech Monday from people who were at sugar Sunday. One day break wouldn’t have hurt them.
dreamnofpow
Expert

LOL at Azucar, I heard their magic ruler was out as well. CAT and Wolf were the places to be if you want untracked POW.