The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Whitewater Center hits real roadblock

This is the place to post - Non ski-related chit chat, G rated

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean!)
OhDrinkBoy
Expert

Article from today's Charlotte Observer. Looks like the center will be delayed.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/ ... 703722.htm

ODB
teledave
Expert

Ooops!

Looks like its time to throw a little cash down and exercise some imminent domain powers. (and pave the road)
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you
SKISC
Expert

God forbid you upset the damn goat farmer.

If the government is going to have to repay the loan then eminent domain should apply. Damn rednecks. No wonder people talk about the south. It is because of damn fools like this.
g8erhater
Advanced

SKISC wrote:
God forbid you upset the damn goat farmer.

If the government is going to have to repay the loan then eminent domain should apply. Damn rednecks. No wonder people talk about the south. It is because of damn fools like this.

These rednecks are smart. They are going to cash out big time from this. This stuff happens up north too--the only difference is they use lawyers and not fences to get their injunctions and paydays.
admin

"Hey Bo, you think theyll take our disability check if they see us blocking the road."

"Nah, we'll just sit in front of this here gate that way it looks like we are still disabled."

"We bout to hit the lottery, then I can buy me some new highwater jeans (see fatass on right)"

teledave
Expert

SKISC wrote:
Damn rednecks. No wonder people talk about the south. It is because of damn fools like this.

I would have to disagree. The county or the developer didn't do their research on the access road for starters; and why the hell didn't they cut a new, better, bigger, road when they started the project? Seems like the developers left a lot of i's undotted and t's uncrossed, I'd bet somewhere in the contract there is a penalty clause that charges the developer liquidated damages per day if the project is not complete by a certain date.

The folks that live on the road will get paid off, the road will get paved, and in the end a new road will be built to access the WWC.
g8erhater
Advanced

GreshamB wrote:
You are spot on...these folks sitting by the gate will get their "what's in it for me" out of this debacle, and a new access road will be built. Any developer in the game who dosent have half a million in his pocket as free floating expendible cash, for instances like this, is a complete dumbazz and will loose his neck..

Yup. If that was my land I would be doing the same thing--licking my chops and getting ready to cash in. Why not? The developers, owners, and everyone that comes to visit gets something out of it--they should too. And, no, hyper-development that brings an insane amount of people flying by their homes, a couple of gas stations, and a Harris Teeter do not qualify as "positives."
kdawg
Beginner

I would be pissed to if I lived on that road. I don't see how you can make fun of the "goat farmers" or "people from the south". There is nothing wrong with them wanting to preserve their peaceful way of living. Unfortunately some a-hole developer and government will screw these people in the end so people can have fun on a "fake" landscape. Get a life and hit the real stuff if you want it that bad.

Lazy America = our demise and destruction of the American dream for some.

And the sad part is some of you applaud government's ability to apply emminent domain policies for financial gain of a private business. I wonder how you would take it if that was your peaceful street they were on.

And let me add if the loan is through BB&T then invoking emminent domain may be a problem since BB&T has the balls to take a stand and not offer loans to businesses that use emminent domain.
teledave
Expert

kdawg wrote:
I would be pissed to if I lived on that road. I don't see how you can make fun of the "goat farmers" or "people from the south". There is nothing wrong with them wanting to preserve their peaceful way of living. Unfortunately some a-hole developer and government will screw these people in the end so people can have fun on a "fake" landscape. Get a life and hit the real stuff if you want it that bad.

Lazy America = our demise and destruction of the American dream for some.

And the sad part is some of you applaud government's ability to apply emminent domain policies for financial gain of a private business. I wonder how you would take it if that was your peaceful street they were on.

But the road is only temporary access, from the article

"The plan was to build a road, called Whitewater Parkway, across private land owned by Crosland Inc., a developer planning a large neighboring subdivision. Wise said he spent more than two years discussing the road with state and city officials before he realized it couldn't be ready by June."

The folks peaceful way of life will be interrupted, but only temporarily. I can understand the dust issue, depending on how long this stretch is pave it or offer the residents some alternate means of resolution that makes everyone happy. Not that the county governement shouldn't have addressed this issue beforehand, but the residents are holding up a $30+M project that is very near completion.

And evidently "peacefulness" can be purchased,

"Wise said his group has offered the homeowners money for temporary use of their road, but they wanted much more than the center could afford. The gate "stopped construction cold," he said, on the very day they expected to begin filling the whitewater channels."

It's kind of like the old line, "Would you have sex with me for a million dollars?....... Yes? Well now that we've established that you're a whore, let's negotiate that price."
SKISC
Expert

GreshamB wrote:

teledave wrote:

I would have to disagree. The county or the developer didn't do their research on the access road for starters; and why the hell didn't they cut a new, better, bigger, road when they started the project? Seems like the developers left a lot of i's undotted and t's uncrossed

I hate to burst everyone's speculation bubble on this, but TD is right. Working in the development game, I see this happen more often than not. Developers get their eyes set on the prize, and let the little nuiances of the job get overlooked. The key to development is keeping everyone happy, or at least the majority of the people in your surroundings happy. The first thing that people ask when development issues arise is "what's in it for me?" (other than the production of development X). Onto the liquidated damages statement, this would most likley fall on the contractor, in a contractual agreement worked out betwen the contractor and owner.

You are spot on...these folks sitting by the gate will get their "what's in it for me" out of this debacle, and a new access road will be built. Any developer in the game who dosent have half a million in his pocket as free floating expendible cash, for instances like this, is a complete dumbazz and will loose his neck..

You are correct. I don't think I have ever seen a development go up with out an easement or right of way granted in writing. That should have been in the works along with the plans and land purchases. I worked in real estate and development for 10 years and we never started anything without proper easements in place before the property was ever purchased.

These redneckss will get paid off. They may even get water rights for their goats there in the river.