The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

No Shovel, No Probe, No Beacon - A Not So Gnar TR w/ Pics to Laugh At

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
TheGnar
Expert

I was going to go to A-Basin this morning to get some turns in with the costumed freaks. On my way up I decided that I was gonna stop at the top of the pass (Loveland Pass) to do a little hiking and take some senics. Much to my surprise (it's been warm up there lately)there was a small snowfield with about (at the most) 150 feet vertical about a quarter the way up the trail. It looked like around the same pitch as High Noon and Ramrod (two intermediate runs at the Basin) so I said "why the hell not" and went down to my car, put my boots on, grabed my skis and poles and hiked back up to it. After a few runs down this rapidly degrading snowfield a couple hunters were backpacking up the ridge and offered to snap a couple pictures for me. Even though I was gassed after a few runs and about to pack it up (I know, I know...not gnar) I eagerly handed over my camera to the guy so I could have pictures to back up my "first backcountry experience".

Now, I know that isn't a true BC experience and most of you are probably laughing right now but i'll tell you (for people that have never done it), earning turns in October on the Divide (at least this year) is not easy. Hiking back up in boots on loose rocks sucked. Not having the BC pack I ordered two months ago, I was carrying my skis and poles up each time...that sucked. Leaving my only water bottle in the car cause I thought I would do one run and head to the Basin sucked. What didn't suck though is not paying to make a few runs. And I have to admit that earning turns (although not gnar turns) was one of the coolest skiing experiences i've ever done and I can't wait to do it again.

Now on to the pictures...

"Hmmm...I think i'll stop to hike and take some pictures here.":

"Woah...Now this has got me thinking...":

About half way up..."Man, this sure is a beautiful place...":

"Why would I pay $49 to go ski 350 feet more vertical with 100 more people when this is staring me in the face?":

"This earning your turns thing is way better than paying to ski. Even if I am by myself.":

"Thanks Dan-the-Hunter. Killer one-piece camo suit. I understand, though, since you're camping at 12,000 feet and it might get cold up there..."

After heading back down to the car and packing up, I headed to the other side of the pass to scope out some not so gnar lines over there and found this. It's farther than it looks and I felt like I didn't have enough gnar in me to get there today.

Might not be all that great, but it beats paying.

Hope everyone enjoyed the pics. I'm sure some didn't.
Zeus
Expert

Gnar,

I know we all give you crap sometimes, but in all honesty- way to get after it. Looks like fun, but good thing the stable snow pack held up... no beacon in the backcountry can be dangerous!

Nice TR.
The Dash
Intermediate

12000ft.... ppssshhhh

I wish i could live at 12-14k ft.
codyblank
Expert
Tagline: A place where the beer flows like wine.

Nice dude
Think snowmaking temps.
TheGnar
Expert

It was great. The snow was officially weird. Pretty dang soft but def very wet and seemed "heavy" if that makes sense. To be honest, I didn't even know if my skis would stay on top untill I stepped in and saw it wouldn't be as much as an issue I thought. As yall can probably see, there was barely coverage with maybe as much as 10-12 inches in spots. In two different areas I was pretty much had to ski through grass and mud, but for some strange reason i'd take today over any other day i've ever had on the snow. It was just awesome skiing in that serene of an environment.

Trying to talk Ashley into heading back up to that other spot tomorrow.:)
teledave
Expert

Nice TR, Mr. Gnar.

Well done.
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you
jbc28
Expert

Teh gnar bringing teh stoke.
SKISC
Expert

Are those snowlerblades?
TannerP