The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Roan Mountain 9 Nov 2008

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
Joshua8200
Intermediate

Left Johnson City, TN at about 2:00pm with overcast skies and temperature about 47degrees F. Arrived at Carver's Gap around 3pm to clearing skies, little bit of wind, and about 30degrees F. We made the short hike up to Round Bald with the dogs. There weren't too many folks around so we found an area off the main summit trail to let the dogs loose. We took some cover from the wind behind some boulders and I setup my camping stove and made a quick round of coffee.

My wife, inlaws, and our dogs on Round Bald.

Erin and me with our dogs Yosie (yellow lab) and Daisy (Shi-Tzu)

Yosie and me. My father-inlaw with Scottie (Cairn Terrier) in the background

Daisy showing her balance

Daisy and Yosie

Making coffee

Coffee

SteepNdeep
Intermediate

thats where I want to BC if it snows a lot.
BaZinGa
Advanced

nice pics... from the boggins I'm guessing you guys got married the week before we did...
Joshua8200
Intermediate

@NCSUsKING 151149 wrote:nice pics... from the boggins I'm guessing you guys got married the week before we did...

Couldn't get married the weekend before being UNC fans...that was the final four weekend.
Joshua8200
Intermediate

@SteepNdeep 151147 wrote:thats where I want to BC if it snows a lot.

I think this would be pretty good too...but there'd be a heck of a lot of hidden rocks and not as much vertical on Round Bald as I had thought there would be.

However I did spot a really nice looking pasture passing through Elizabethton...just have to go talk to the owner about that.
bamapilot
Expert

Joshua8200;151157 wrote:
just have to go talk to the owner about that.

You must learn, it is easier to ask forgiveness then permission.
Joshua8200
Intermediate

@bamapilot 151175 wrote:You must learn, it is easier to ask forgiveness then permission.

Hmm...that is the case in certain instances. But not if the property owner is of the same opposing mindset of 'shoot first, ask questions later.'
SteepNdeep
Intermediate

that doesn't look too bad, but it might be south aspect.
Joshua8200
Intermediate

I'm not sure if all that area is a bald. It looks about the same coloration as the rest of the mountain that's trees have already dropped their leaves. Not sure about the aspect...but I would say that would be facing west by south west.

Some of the other balds around Roan are much bigger looking than Round Bald. Round Bald is the closest to the the road (hwy143) that cuts through Carver's Gap at around 5600ft or so. Round Bald tops out at 5900ft.

Hiking to some of the other balds in full out winter conditions would be awesome.