The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

TR: Sugar 11/23/08

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
aclemons
Advanced

Hit up sugar mtn yesterday for the afternoon session and was quite impressed. Still alot of snow around Banner Elk as well, which was suprising.

Temp - 35degrees. Weather - bluebird skies.

My girl and I got there about 1145am and met up with SkiorDie at the ticket booth. Both my girl and myself purchased all new gear this summer, so we could not wait to try it out.

Picked up some lifties and headed over the to the green runs to help her out. Snow was suprisingly fast. No ice, with about an inch or two of powder over hardpack. Thanks again to SkiorDie for giving my novice girlfriend some excellent tips. She is progressing nicely and is starting to keep her skis together when crossing the fall line.

Took a break about noon and ran into my friend Joey as well as Downhill and MellowYellow from the boards. They were deeply involved in a safety meeting but took the time to make a run with us and pose for the obligatory photo op.

Over all the conditions were fantastic for any time of the year, and even more so considering it is not even Thanksgiving. Sugar had not groomed out the top of the mountain or switchback which allowed for some pretty large rollers to develop. This made the run even more exciting and I wish they would leave it like that more often.

Props to everyone who was there, it was a great day!!!

On to the pics....

some pics of my ski bunny getting some practice on the greens

aclemons, mellow yellow, skiordie, and downhillnc

Joey and SkiorDie near 3/4 lift station

some photos of the conditions

pic of my girl and I on the lift

medicskiers
Beginner

pic of my girl and I on the lift

Cute pic of you two. looks like she was mastering the wedge in a few of those pics!!!
OhDrinkBoy
Expert

Nice Pman. Sugar is off to a great start this year. We were there Sat. night and the conditions would have been great for Jan....much less Nov.
aclemons
Advanced

We were certainly impressed. Crowds were not insane, either.
StealthBoarder
Expert

OhDrinkBoy;154513 wrote:
Nice Pman. Sugar is off to a great start this year. We were there Sat. night and the conditions would have been great for Jan....much less Nov.

must have just missed ya!
StealthBoarder
Expert

aclemons;154552 wrote:
We were certainly impressed. Crowds were not insane, either.

it helped that they had easy street open as well as big birch. we just kept getting on the big birch lift at the end of the day instead of losing time waiting on the yellow lift.
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

Sweet. That opended leg stance on her could be trouble. She should be able to keep her legs together soon
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
skipanther
Advanced

I was busy during the day but made it up that night(11/23),really good conditions for this time of the year,for that matter any time of the year,it was packed powder w/some loose powder on top.I hope the weather stays like this and snowing often and no major warmups.
OhDrinkBoy
Expert

StealthBoarder;154556 wrote:
it helped that they had easy street open as well as big birch. we just kept getting on the big birch lift at the end of the day instead of losing time waiting on the yellow lift.

That's why we missed each other. I spent a lot of time with my wife on Easy Street. Then did about 5 runs down from the top. Never went over to Birch
downhillNC
Advanced

@OhDrinkBoy 154749 wrote:That's why we missed each other. I spent a lot of time with my wife on Easy Street. Then did about 5 runs down from the top. Never went over to Birch

Mellow, XboxChick and I were lapping Big Birch a lot of the time. No people, good conditions, and short runs for tired (and out of shape) legs.

The biggest and best surprise was NO SNOW GUNS ON! Made for an even perfect day. Good to meet you Clemons. Good to see Joey and Blake again. Let's do it again soon!