The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

App 11/26/08

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
BaZinGa
Advanced

Decided to go to App today since it's a fun little hill and they weren't blowing snow/water/rainbow makers onto the open trails (*he thinks back to the previous weeks drenching at Sugar - thank goodness for good waterproof outerwear*). Anyways, the woofie bus left a little later than planned but still arrived at App a little after 9am. To my surprise the first few rows of parking had already been claimed.

The morning crowds weren't all that bad - only had to wait a few chairs for most runs and skied right on a few times too:

Conditions were GREAT!

I'd call it packed powder... good stuff for anytime of the year, especially Novemeber:

About 2pm the crowds poured in... a little auto focus issue but you get the point:

Can someone please remind me of the date??? Is this February or November?!?

App was looking as good as I've ever seen it... November, December, January, February or March! They made snow on Hard Core & Thin Slice during the morning, but cut the guns off when it warmed up after lunch. Both trails have good cover and should be ready to open whenever they're ready to push around a little snow & drop the rope.

I didn't get any pics of the expanded area at the top of Orchard Run, but removing that tree seems to have helped... most of the time I was able to easily pick my way through the 10 or so boarders plopped down right in the middle of the trail :rolleyes:... the parks looked good too...

All-in-all a most excellent day! Didn't feel the burn like the first trip to Sugar last week, but I was able to work on a few things and able to enjoy these AWESOME early season conditions!!! The holiday traffic back to Raleigh wasn't even all that bad either...
skipanther
Advanced

Nice pics of that snowy backyard!
AppSkiFreak33
Advanced

i was there!
Bronco
Expert

AppSkiFreak33;155290 wrote:
i was there!

When are you NOT there?:rolleyes:
Bronco
Expert

Nice TR Drew.:)
AppSkiFreak33
Advanced

@Bronco Boarder 155291 wrote:When are you NOT there?:rolleyes:

idk.....hahaha

i saw NCSUskier in the lift line and we just kinda looked at each other...haha..this was the second time we have met at app.
BaZinGa
Advanced

@AppSkiFreak33 155295 wrote:idk.....hahaha

i saw NCSUskier in the lift line and we just kinda looked at each other...haha..this was the second time we have met at app.

hahaha... i thought i saw you too, but all you park rats are hard to tell apart with the bandanna's and all... i'm easy to find... the only goof wearing mostly red and some kind of ncsu apparel... catch ya next time...
AppSkiFreak33
Advanced

im the only park rat thats 6 ft tall...besides jake.
skiatlanta
Advanced

im 6 ft tall, (but im not a park rat outside nc) and was there yesterday. the lift lines sucked during midday, so I jsut hiked the lift tower for about an hour. Got switch on, switch up, and a few siwth on 270 outs.

and taking out that little tree, I dont think helped that much. Its not that much wider and that tree was fun to do stuff off of.
BaZinGa
Advanced

yeah, i liked the tree better too...