The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Not Another Trip Report

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
skiing rules
Expert

March 17-21, skiing the 18-21.

Flight had a layover in Denver and got delayed due to snow in Den and bad flight weather. Landed pretty late and we didnt get to sleep till around 2am. Not much sleep for a 6am alarm!

Me and ATLskier met up with some of my friends I met at the Snowpine years ago at the white pine trailhead just below snowbird. We started up Scotty's at dawn and got to experience some pretty miserable skinning for a few minutes on the initial pitch. Not too bad though.

Sun shines on the North side of Little Cottonwood Canyon

A little later, shaping up to be a beautiful bluebird day

It had snowed around 14-20" a couple days prior and the snow was great N facing. Just good, right side-up hero powder.

My friends from the snowpine had to leave around 945 so we skied a lap in some steep trees skiers left of Scotty's. It was the best snow I have skied in years. about 4 years actually. I forgot my helmet in the car (no vid or pics) and we were in a bit of a hurry so we just went ahead and schussed on down. Logan (ATLskier) and I stayed in the mtns though and we skinned back on up to the top of the headwall.

The views didn't suck! Best Place in the world!

ATLskier shows us how its done

Beats the hell out of Atlanta!!

We skied a neat chute off the top of scotty's that fed us into the high snowfield bringing some heat due to a little mandatory straight lining in the exit. Snow was perfect for absolutely laying waste to the slope. It was incredible coming in hot and lettin' em run for half dozen big gs turns on the face. We skinned back up past Scotty's on lookers left to a cool cirque area that wraps around to Snowbird's border. More skinning than we anticipated. Tons of switchbacks

"We should have brought beer"

West twin of the American fork twin peaks and Red Top behind me. The ridgeline is snowbird's border above gad 2 and tiger tail

Enough non-sense, lets ski!

We would have brought more fuel and some beers but the plan was originally to ski a run with friends in scotty's then head to breakfast at goldminers, then skin up to the wolverine cirque and tick off lines in the cirque, but the sow was so good in scotty's area we just stayed put.
Last edited by skiing rules on Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
skiing rules
Expert

Shred Time. Skiing Rules up in tha house

We skied on down to the road from there. about 3200 feet below us. We ended up getting a pretty big day in. Super worth it. We fired up the grill, cracked beers, and posted up in lawn chairs in the white pine parking lot to let it all soak in.

Day 2. Big Cottonwood Canyon objective. Logan and I both want to try to tick off all the lines in the Chuting gallery, a book about steep skiing in the wasatch by Andrew Mclean. I would be ok with about 90% of the lines in the book. some are absolutely foolish. One of the bigger more scary lines in the book Logan and I had talked about maybe never skiing it. It's "The granddaddy of BCC slide paths" and "not on America's list of safe skiing list" Enter Stairs Gulch. The avy rose was green, and the day prior we were skiing steep N facing terrain and couldnt find any instabilities if we had to. The snowpack was rock solid. We figured "lets go for it". If we got up there and it didn't look right we would just ski bonkers, which is arguably the best powder run in the wasatch.
Stairs

We started hiking around 815, later than we wanted to start.
The approach starts at the S-turns in BCC at around 5900'. The first 3/4 mile to 1 mile is bare ground so you have to hike. It's a great trail leading into the Twin Peaks Wilderness. After seeing a number of people in LCC and folks cutting over into scotty's from snowbird it was great disappearing into Broads Fork of BCC. We saw 2 solo guys for a minute on the way up and we ran into a party of 3 at the top of bonkers. 5 people in 7 hours in the mtns. It was fantastic after ATL life.
Skiing Rules (Walker) skinning through a great aspen grove on the edge of the alpine.

Logan has a turn

Welcome to Broads Fork

Looking up at Bonkers. Doesnt look like much but it's about 2100' vert

I want to get this thing in deep fresh powder!

Pretty
Last edited by skiing rules on Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
skiing rules
Expert

We skied down Bonkers probably 900'. We had to ensure that we got a vertical mile of skiing. The day ended up at around 5400'.

The final pitch to the summit is booting. And we made it!

Walker finishing up the last steps

Logan says "He'll yeah bo!"

6000' above the city. Probably the coolest place I have been. The scale and grandeur of the place is off the charts! Very humbling standing up there.

Looking south along the Salt Lake Skyline

The Salt Lake Twins. Visible from everywhere in the valley

We saw some guys skiing the NW couloir of the twins. Looks like an incredible line. I would love to get on it sometime!

Can't get over this place!

Only one thing left to do.

on top of the city

Ski TIme!

Had to open it up!

Sink those hips!

skiing rules
Expert

Logan has a go at it

Coming into the crappy part of the run. Since its a big slide path there is lots of refrozen avvy debris in the lower part. The skiing went from phenomenal to unbelievably bad in about 5 turns.

death cookies

And we ran out of snow. Time to downclimb

A successful day! one of my best ski days ever I feel like. It was a serious adventure

Time for beer and brats in the parking lot!
skiing rules
Expert

Space reserved for day 3
skipanther
Advanced

:D Awesome-tausome!
OldSchool
Intermediate
Tagline: ......................I Love Cold, Rain and Snow!

Hamme one dem brats & beers!

Cheers to Bo's! Doing WORK!

:D
"Like Tater tots in the broiler"........ sometimes they smoke

Hey Bo! Hamme one dem beers!...
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

Great pics, thanks for sharing!
Old Fart
Beginner

FKNA!
RMacSki
Advanced

AWESOME! now I know why Logan had zero intentions of meeting me when I was inbounds at Park City.
2014-2015 Days On: Like a billion already.