The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Yet another trip report! Video TR, pics later (maybe)

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
skiing rules
Expert

I visited skiATL again last weekend in Utah. It snowed a lot and was an awesome trip! Lots of pow!

davidski
Expert

So pleased to be the first to reply, really great stuff... but be careful out there with the big sloughs and all

awesome.. I have some equipment questions for you later.
davidski
Expert

TAP< TAP< TAP

that's me tapping on the computer screen (I do the same thing to Goldfish) to see if there is any life in there.\

These two youngsters grew up right here on the SkiNC messageboard, possibly with some help from friends and family, but principally here. Has our collective soul become so dead that no one is commenting on this video...think you could do better? Good luck

I for one will reiterate, Hats off to you gentlemen.
swamphox
Expert

Thanks for letting me know how bad my life sucks :lol: Keep up the good work.
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
ROYMERCER
Intermediate

I only wish I could try some of those runs! That is beyond cool.
2020-2021 days skiing
CAT= 2
APP=
WOLF=
MASSANUTTEN=
TIMBERLINE=
CANAAN VALLEY=
SAPPHIRE=1
skiing rules
Expert

It's late season and pretty slow, just thought I would add it in here as a late season morale booster after a pretty weak season down here. Utah pretty much always delivers. In the days leading up to the trip NOAA changed the storm predictions every 3-4 hours. It started as a forecasted major storm then it got downgraded to a max of 4-6". Well it snowed about 15" in the upper cottonwoods and stayed cloudy enough to keep it in great shape all weekend. The ease of access to the backcountry is so good it's not even fair. I don't know a single place in Colorado that can compare. Where do you hike 2800' straight from the road for a 3200' descent down one of the 50 classic backcountry ski runs of North America?(mt. Superior se face) for steep fall line, Alaskan style run. Little superior is a little less very probably 2700. It's a quick one to get to. About an hour and a half if you don't stop every 20 minutes.
skipanther
Advanced

Is that 2800 ft distance(half mile) or 2800' of climbing,elevation change from the road?
skiing rules
Expert

Elevation change. That's the standard way to describe how big a run is. I think everyone does that except cataloochee :lol: It's always in vertical feet.
SalisburySkier
Beginner

Solid work. I have been following your stoke on here since your first winter at Alta and you always deliver. I believe your first winter in Utah was also the same year me and my wife took our first trip to SLC. I will never forget the pic you posted of digging your car out after a massive storm. I know I will never be able to keep up with you guys in the backcountry but I hope to share some turns with you at Alta some day. Maybe you could show me some places where I wouldn't get myself carried out on a stretcher. Anyways thanks for the trip report.
skiing rules
Expert

Thanks! I know the pic you are talking about. That was my first really big storm. 75" in 4 days. That was a wild year. Something like 180% of average snowfall. Yea I'd love to show you some areas at Alta. Not really any secrets left up there but lots of areas get over looked. Most of the stuff we ski isn't serious. Especially outside the boundaries you have to kind of take a step back and really think about what you're about to do. Strangely, all of my trips this year had absolutely rock solid snowpack with only a couple areas of concern so we could ski whatever we wanted to, including stuff we wouldn't even consider skiing