The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

theKENDOG's most accurate weather joint

This is the place to post your weather comments, photos, questions, maps and insight.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Update 12-6-13 @ 2:30pm

Man, unless you like warmer weather this time of year, it sucks right now and things aren't going to get any better until Tuesday. Here's an overview for the NC mountains.

Showers re-develop later today and tonight looks wet as a cold front slowly pushes through. A decent amount of rain will fall overnight. Blegh.

Tomorrow should be dry for the most part and it'll be colder. Temps will still be a little too warm for snowmaking though. Blegh.

Saturday night begins a textbook CAD (cold air damming) event. This will only affect the northwest NC mountains and foothills. Cat and locations in the southwest portion of the state are looking at an all rain event Saturday night and Sunday. Ashe, Avery, and Watauga Counties could see things get ugly. Freezing rain Saturday night/Sunday morning should turn to all rain by midday for everyone near the NC/TN border. So Beech and Sugar will see rain throughout most of the day on Sunday. However, areas on the eastern side of the Appalachians are looking at a mess possibly. This applies to Boone and App Ski Mtn. Check out the NAM overview from Bufkit below. Red is ice. Green is rain.

What you're seeing is the NAM sounding overview for Boone. It's showing almost 3/4 of an inch of ice for Boone on Sunday. Eek! Half of that would be pretty bad. I just looked at some other model soundings and they're still showing a quarter to .35 inches of ice as well. Sunday looks TERRIBLE.

Here's the NWS probability of greater than .25 inches of ice during the day Sunday.

Everyone sees a changeover to all rain Sunday evening/night and showers continue into Monday. Blegh.

The good news is that another cold front moves through late Monday and it will bring some really, really cold air along with it. Snow showers Monday night and Tuesday will only bring minimal accumulations, but snowmaking will finally get fired up. Wednesday and Thursday will continue to be cold. We're looking at around the clock snowmaking for at least 72 hours it looks like. We just gotta get through the next several days.
WOOOOOO!

jt3
Intermediate

Thanks kdog.
theKENDOG
Expert

@killglobalwarmingnow 294393 wrote:Thanks for that report. That amount of ice would be annoying and dangerous, and could possibly disrupt resrt operations. It looks lik3 temps are going to be warmer than first thought? I'm not buying a 1/4 of ice sticking to anything, damn I hope not anyway

I'm thinking all of the resorts in NC will be closed Sunday. It's going to be sloppy.

As for the ice aspect, that three quarters of an inch is definitely an outlier and not likely. However, it looks like a quarter of an inch is definitely possible. Probably going to be a lot of trees down.
WOOOOOO!

MrClemsonKeri
Expert

This sucks
theKENDOG
Expert

@Mr.ClemsonKeri 294396 wrote:

This sucks

Not sure what you're trying to say there.
WOOOOOO!

NCSkiFanatic15
Advanced

Any snow for the Hickory/Lenoir area anytime soon?!? I need snowww!!!
Spacewrangler
Beginner

Any word on how the precip this weekend will affect snow pack at CAT for 12/23?

Will there be a base?
theKENDOG
Expert

@Spacewrangler 294881 wrote:Any word on how the precip this weekend will affect snow pack at CAT for 12/23?

Will there be a base?

The next several days are going to be pretty mild, especially this weekend. Snowmaking is probably done for everyone until Monday night. On top of that, the rain on Sunday looks to be decently heavy (an inch or so). I'd be lying to you if I said Monday will be good, because in all honesty it is probably going to be sloppy.
WOOOOOO!

theKENDOG
Expert

@theKENDOG 294918 wrote:The next several days are going to be pretty mild, especially this weekend. Snowmaking is probably done for everyone until Monday night. On top of that, the rain on Sunday looks to be decently heavy (an inch or so). I'd be lying to you if I said Monday will be good, because in all honesty it is probably going to be sloppy.

Definitely going to be sloppy. Rain has been upped to one to three inches now. Oof.
WOOOOOO!

MrClemsonKeri
Expert

What are we gonna see tomorrow