The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

The "Remember When" thread

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
jeffryc
Expert

Remember when: There were ski areas in Sky Valley, GA., Scaly Mtn., NC., Fancy Gap, VA.?

When someone talked about "riding", it was making reference to the vehicle that got you there.

Burton was a really cool lake in North Georgia

There were no terrain parks or snowboards?

If you lived in the south and told someone you were going skiing they asked you,"Which lake?".

When you walked through Gatlinburg to the tram station in ski clothes, people thought you were going to a costume party (actually, that hasn't changed!).

All lifts were fixed grip and slow?

Women wore really tight ski pants?

So did men.

The only bad ski day was the one you didn't ski.

Snowshoe had the Hawthorne lift & trail off the summit (there's a reason it's gone).

Jean-Claude Killy endorsed the Cupp Run at Snowshoe

When you rented equipment, you didn't need an attorney to review the paperwork.

If someone got injured, they didn't immediately call the guy on the back of the phone book.

There were phone books.

There was a bank of pay phones in every ski building.

People didn't text while riding the lift to the person in the next chair.

If your skis were shorter than 205cm you were a wimp.

Skis only went in one direction (on purpose).

Spademan Side Bindings

Rear entry boots

Ski condos all had that same furniture that felt like burlap (some still have the original stuff)

When someone talked about posting something, it involved a metal sign that said,"No Trespassing".

If you wanted to see ski photos, you bought a magazine.

If you wanted to see a ski movie it required a ticket.

If you wanted to see a ski race on TV, every 4 years they showed the Olympics (but not much skiing).

The Olympics were held in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia (sad story since)

There was no skinc.com

So now it's your turn. Which of these are bad and which of these are good things? Add your own. And if you're too young to know what I'm talking about, ask your parents or grandparents!
StealthBoarder
Expert

I like Lake Burton :)

Phone books seem like a waste of paper now.
teledave
Expert

Remember when their were no such things as snowboards? Remember the Snurfer? Remember "Long skis truck, short skis suck"? Remember rope tows with real rope? Remember when K2 skis were made in America? (Vashon Island, IIRC)
Plans for 2015: To ski more than you
GCskier
Beginner

Did mono skis ever catch on in NC?
teledave
Expert

Only with Mr. Stinky, but he was gay long before he found the monoski.
dreamnofpow
Expert

-Descente wear was the shizzle

-Glacier Glasses

-Gaiters n Jeans
jeffryc
Expert

@MBlacky1051 170809 wrote:Remember Alberto Tomba

He was my hero. The best ever!
jeffryc
Expert

@StealthBoarder 170792 wrote:

Phone books seem like a waste of paper now.

I still feel proud when the new phone books arrive and my name is in it AND spelled properly!
downhillNC
Advanced

I remember being in college and seeing "Ski Beech" on a map of North Carolina - I was in college in Arkansas - and wondering "how in the hell can you ski in North Carolina?"...little did I know...

...and my skis were 200cm Kastles...guess I fell 5cm short of "Hot Dog" status...
teledave
Expert

MBlacky1051;170809 wrote:
Remember Alberto Tomba

Fail.

Remember Ingemar Stenmark?