The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

How Many Good Days Are in A NC Ski Season

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
jt3
Intermediate

good question. id say 12ish full days tops. but if you just counted only sessions day or night, not full days, maybe double that?
skigeorgia
Beginner

Days with low crowds, minimal ice, not raining, decent snow conditions, and fully open I'd say about 20 days. I'd say about 5-10 days that are actually "powder days" where there are the best conditions possible. The problem with North Carolina is consistent conditions, all the ski areas have great snowmaking and are 100% open for about 2-2.5 months which is pretty decent.
davidski
Expert

It's an interesting question -- How do you define it, I skied 35 days last year for me that was epic but not very special by any local standards.

NC is not my first choice but then I have gone down the neophyte BC path that everyone is despising, except for G3 Dynafit Scarpa etc.... they are loving us. So I've spent a majority of my days in the trees

I skied 5 days in NC last year but if I liked groomers I'd have skied twice that many. I don't think I'm the norm now.

So how many good days are there? When I got the chance to talk to Jim at App., he personified the idea that everyday is a good day, that every run is an opportunity. I had enormous respect for that but fear I lack the necessary Zen. I hope to get 8 days here and a lot more in WV and CO this year.

If Beech has their quad at speed, combined with Sugars improvements this could be a great season. Anyway I think its more than 12 days? if you can ski top to bottom on weekdays, right?
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

If you're riding with friends and you have the right mindset it's always a good day.
WOOOOOO!

liquidcowboy
Beginner

Being from Florida, anytime I can get on the mountain is a good day no matter the conditions. Maybe one day I'll have the opportunity to live near a resort and be a powder snob and only ski on the rare perfect days each season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jt3
Intermediate

i hate cold rain.
davidski
Expert

killglobalwarmingnow wrote:I get it, sunshine and rainbow puppies hanging out with friends in the rain on a ski slope with a gallon of lube and a case of keystone light, really not the point of the post.
The point is how many good day are available in the Southeast? No dropoff the cornice into trees, unless you are at TL, CV, and WG... limited powder days that aren't groomed down unless again tl,cv, wg

But there ARE STILL ALOT OF DAYS TO BE HAD. If I lived in Boone I'd ski at least 20 days a year at Sugar and beech. The Irony is that they are improving their infrastructure just in time for the changing climate to make the odds worse.

KGW, my viewpoint is ski what you have when you can and supplement it as much as possible. And I will bet good money (not mine but any venture) that if we lived next door this season would provide 30 good days at Beech/Sugar, granted my track record on predictions is not stellar.
davidski
Expert

jt3 wrote:i hate cold rain.

But i bet you still ski in it if it's all you've got.

It's Autumn boys and girls, its official, we are a month or two away.

Will it be powder or groomers-- manmade or a 20 in. storm to open the trees in WV? Or maybe even here

It's all about to start, I could not be more excited
davidski
Expert

trying out skis, well i should hope so -- everyone ought to return to the path of righteousness.

As far as the gold pass, I understand your qualms, many were skunked last year. I would be hesitant even if I lived close by.
swamphox
Expert

If you want good days aim to find really cold ones. A lot of people in the SE will keep out of the cold. As long as you dont mind it, its the only way to go.
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3