The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

A-Basin (Opening Week) 2016-17

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
dwhicks10
Beginner
Tagline: "Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way … turn."

I know it's not "Southeast," but I figured we all need a sign of winter approaching; especially since it isn't even close to feeling like winter around here!

A-Basin (Arapahoe Basin Ski Area, Colorado), opened one run (High Noon) on Friday, Oct. 21st, and we were able to make it there on Tuesday, Oct. 25th due to being in Colorado already. Much to our surprise and enjoyment, the base was a solid 18", with tree to tree coverage. There was no powder, but the snow was in great condition (not icy, not sticky). Those of you who might be thinking "One run? Was it even worth it?" The one run took an average of about 6 minutes from lift to base at our casual pace. A-Basin's Hign Noon was an intermediate slope, however their idea of intermediate was comparable to Snowshoes Western Territory, Cupp Run, if the upper half of Cupp continued for the entire length, so yes, one run was definitely with the effort!

I have a few images to share with you all, sorry there aren't more.

It was awesome to get on some snow, and begin to get my snow legs back. What stinks is knowing I have two months to wait before strapping on the skis again!

Think Snow!
20161030_174511.jpg
20161030_174335.jpg
20161030_174703.jpg
20161030_174537(1).jpg
20161030_174431(1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Hicks
Graphic Designer
Ga Skier
Intermediate
Tagline: Days on Snow...... Never Enough

Thx that was cool.A Basin has always been my favorite hill in Colorado. I'm a little jealous but glad you got to go.
The area definitely looks funny without snow everywhere but hopefully that's going to change soon.
davidski
Expert

Thanks so much for those pictures, I love seein it. One thing about the WROD opening days is its often really crowded, but apparently not for you that day.

You are correct about what is considered steep here and there, although parts of A-basin are considered steep by any standards. Like GA skier said it's strange to see so many aspects barren of snow but also eye opening on some places I've skied -- good old Hwy 6, I love it

thanks a lot for taking time to share that.
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

Nice to have snow out west....we gots 86 degrees and thats about 56 too much
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
swamphox
Expert

Way to get out after it. Dont worry abt it not being in the Southeast....skiing is skiing. I am assuming you just happened to be out there anyway
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3